Best time to set start date for maximizing h1b chances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best time to set start date for maximizing h1b chances

I graduate on the 20th of May with a BS degree in Computer Science. I have just been offered a position as a software developer at Oracle. They have given me a choice for a start date.
    What date should I give them to maximize my chances of eventually securing an H1b visa? From my understanding if I time my OPT correctly I can have 3 attempts in the lottery. I have searched online for hours but didn't find any useful info.
    Could anyone help me with this please? Would picking June be a stupid idea?

Thanks!!

haalp please

Comment

Originally posted by JoseBigio View Post
      I graduate on the 20th of May with a BS degree in Computer Science. I have just been offered a position as a software developer at Oracle. They have given me a choice for a start date.
      What date should I give them to maximize my chances of eventually securing an H1b visa? From my understanding if I time my OPT correctly I can have 3 attempts in the lottery. I have searched online for hours but didn't find any useful info.
      Could anyone help me with this please? Would picking June be a stupid idea?

Thanks!!
      3 Attempts in single lottery or 3 attempts over 3 years? I think the OPT period is 12 Months, and a possible 17 Months extension for STEM so I am assuming 29 Months.

H1 is for a max of 6 Years, many students on F1 try to maximize the OPT + H1 period (29 Months + 6 Years).

So I would say joining in June is fine, but at the same time to take advantage of this year's H1, your employer would have to file a H1 as consular process in April 2015. Don't ask them to file it as a COS.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

well I am calculating 3 attempts over 3 years. Would they be able to file for an h1b on April2015 since I graduate on May2015? I just feel lost and dont know what to do. I am thinking that maybe I should graduate on December and start next year.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X