Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B visa -- validity for re-entry

Hello,

my H1B visa stamp bears the expiration date 04JUL2015, but it also states the petition expiration date (PED) as 11JUN2016. My I-94 is also valid through the last day of petition validity.

Now I am planning a short trip abroad for vacations and have the following questions:

1. Will I be able to re-enter US in June 2015 while my H1B is still valid for 2-3 weeks?
    2. What should I do after this date to ensure that I can leave and reenter US in case of emergency?

Regards,
    Alexander.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by fafaw View Post
    Hello,

my H1B visa stamp bears the expiration date 04JUL2015, but it also states the petition expiration date (PED) as 11JUN2016. My I-94 is also valid through the last day of petition validity.

Now I am planning a short trip abroad for vacations and have the following questions:

1. Will I be able to re-enter US in June 2015 while my H1B is still valid for 2-3 weeks?
    2. What should I do after this date to ensure that I can leave and reenter US in case of emergency?

Regards,
    Alexander.
    1. Yes, But you will get I-94 only till 04 Jul 2015.
    2. Get a new visa stamp by attending the interview at a US consulate outside US.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for your answers!

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      1. Yes, But you will get I-94 only till 04 Jul 2015.
      My current I-94 is valid until Jun 2016.
      Do you mean that I'll get a new I-94 with shortened validity?

2. Get a new visa stamp by attending the interview at a US consulate outside US.
      I am asking about getting H1B extended while being within US.
      Does it mean that I can't get it extended in US and will have to attend a US consulate outside of US if I travel abroad after the H1B expires?

Comment

Originally posted by fafaw View Post
        Thank you for your answers!

My current I-94 is valid until Jun 2016.
        Do you mean that I'll get a new I-94 with shortened validity?

I am asking about getting H1B extended while being within US.
        Does it mean that I can't get it extended in US and will have to attend a US consulate outside of US if I travel abroad after the H1B expires?
        1. You should hand over that I-94 while exiting US. And would be given a new one upon re entry. When you re enter US as I-94 issuing has gone electronic, the visa authorities give the least of Visa End date/Passport Date/Petition Date.
        2. Yes. Visa, petition and I-94 are three different things. Extending H1B petition does not mean the same as extending visa. In order to enter US one needs a valid visa, and a valid visa stamping can only be done at a consulate outside US. What you can extend in US is your petition and I-94, but that will not get you a new visa stamp in the passport. Even if your petition/I-94 is extended in US you still need a new visa stamp beyond 04-Jul-2015 in order to get entry into US.

This is my opinion not legal advice.
        Last edited by raghvi; 03-21-2015, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your clarifications!

When you re enter US as I-94 issuing has gone electronic, the visa authorities give the least of Visa End date/Passport Date/Petition Date.
          What should I do then if I get my I-94 only for a couple of weeks? Processing an extension would require several weeks. Will I have to leave US and wait for the outcome of the extension application in my home country?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X