Travel outside US on H4 visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel outside US on H4 visa

Hi I've my H4 visa valid through September 2016. I desire to travel to India in but I don't have the visa stamped on my passport. And I have renewed my passport in 2014. I have my I797 valid through September 2016 with me. So do I need to get my visa stamped on my passport before I come back to US. ? If yes then Do I need to go to the U.S. consulate in person or it can be done online. The last time I got my visa stamped was in 2012 when I visited India with my spouse who's H1 visa holder. And this time I'm planning to travel without him. Is it advisable to travel alone in this situation when I have my new passport and valid I797 which expires in September 2016? And what's about the visa stamping? Thanks..!

Originally posted by Trupti Vaja View Post
    Hi I've my H4 visa valid through September 2016. I desire to travel to India in but I don't have the visa stamped on my passport. And I have renewed my passport in 2014. I have my I797 valid through September 2016 with me. So do I need to get my visa stamped on my passport before I come back to US. ? If yes then Do I need to go to the U.S. consulate in person or it can be done online. The last time I got my visa stamped was in 2012 when I visited India with my spouse who's H1 visa holder. And this time I'm planning to travel without him. Is it advisable to travel alone in this situation when I have my new passport and valid I797 which expires in September 2016? And what's about the visa stamping? Thanks..!
    A bulleted list of questions would have been easier to answer.

Yes you would have to get a new visa.

Visa, and petition are two different things. You need a valid visa in passport to be allowed entry into US. A valid I797 by itself is not enough to get entry into US.

If you want to re enter US, and you dont have a valid visa in passport, you would first need to get your passport stamped with a new visa.

There is something called as Interview waiver program, wherein, if you are eligible, you need to fill the DS-160 online, pay the fees online, and drop your passport along with the relevant documents at specified locations. The consulate if found your documents valid, would return the passport with a H4 visa, at specified locations from where you can go and collect. Check your eligibility for availing this facility. http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-visarenew.asp

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X