Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Petition Receipt Number

Hi Folks,

My H1B petition for 2016 has been filed and I have below questions pertaining to this,

1. What is H1b Petition receipt number.
    2. Do USCIS gives receipt number for each petition they received, mine is filed as normal processing.
    3. Somewhere i read that USCIS shall give receipt number only for the petitions selected in lottery.
    3. Difference between receipt number and case number
    4. If USCIS gives receipt number , can i use it to track whether it was picked up in lottery or not.

Thanks in Anticipation

Originally posted by vishalnayan View Post
    Hi Folks,

My H1B petition for 2016 has been filed and I have below questions pertaining to this,

1. What is H1b Petition receipt number.
    2. Do USCIS gives receipt number for each petition they received, mine is filed as normal processing.
    3. Somewhere i read that USCIS shall give receipt number only for the petitions selected in lottery.
    3. Difference between receipt number and case number
    4. If USCIS gives receipt number , can i use it to track whether it was picked up in lottery or not.

Thanks in Anticipation
    The receipt number is a unique 13-character identifier that USCIS provides for each application or petition it receives. The agency uses it to identify and track its cases.

The receipt number consists of three letters-for example, EAC, WAC, LIN, SRC, NBC, MSC or IOE-and 10 numbers. You can find it on notices of action USCIS has sent you.

1, It is the tracking number for all selected application. It eventually would be the number that would be needed for scheduling your visa stamping, if petition is approved.
    2&3. Yes only applications selected through the lottery would be given a receipt number.
    3 b. I dont think there is any. I believe for GC applications they are more commonly referred as Case Number.
    4. If you got receipt number it means it was picked in lottery and undergoing scrutiny for approval.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks Raghvi,

Your replies are very information and accurate.
      I have follow up question.
      1. Is there any way to learn whether the employer has filed the petition, because as mentioned receipt would only be for picked up petitions.So for not picked up files, there is no way to know.
      2. When USCIS receive application, they attach this receipt number to petition, so this is the same receipt number which employer will get if particular application is picked.So why don't USCIS gives this receipt number even before lottery , I mean why they don't give this receipt number to employer whether it is picked in lottery or not.
      3. Is it fair to ask for receipt number from employer.Mine said they will gv once it is picked.Is this answer justified.

Regards

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      The receipt number is a unique 13-character identifier that USCIS provides for each application or petition it receives. The agency uses it to identify and track its cases.

The receipt number consists of three letters-for example, EAC, WAC, LIN, SRC, NBC, MSC or IOE-and 10 numbers. You can find it on notices of action USCIS has sent you.

1, It is the tracking number for all selected application. It eventually would be the number that would be needed for scheduling your visa stamping, if petition is approved.
      2&3. Yes only applications selected through the lottery would be given a receipt number.
      3 b. I dont think there is any. I believe for GC applications they are more commonly referred as Case Number.
      4. If you got receipt number it means it was picked in lottery and undergoing scrutiny for approval.

Comment

Thanks Raghvi,

Your replies are very information and accurate.
        I have follow up question.
        1. Is there any way to learn whether the employer has filed the petition, because as mentioned receipt would only be for picked up petitions.So for not picked up files, there is no way to know.
        2. When USCIS receive application, they attach this receipt number to petition, so this is the same receipt number which employer will get if particular application is picked.So why don't USCIS gives this receipt number even before lottery , I mean why they don't give this receipt number to employer whether it is picked in lottery or not.
        3. Is it fair to ask for receipt number from employer.Mine said they will gv once it is picked.Is this answer justified.

Regards
        1. Only your employer and attorney can confirm you the receipt number.
        2. They dont attach a receipt when they receive an application, they issue receipts to applications selected in the lottery, as for tracking number, your employer/lawyer would certainly get it from the courier service being used by them to deliver the application.
        3. Yes it is fair, and they can give it only once its picked up and communicated to you. Of course they are not legally bound to share it with you.

You dont seem to be trusting this employer much, any particular reason?

Comment

Thanks Raghvi for your inputs.
          I do trust my employer, putting these questions here because i dont want to bug the HR and immigration people ,also I know i wont get such expect and detailed explanation.I also trust them coz they filed my petition last year too.
          Btw
          1. Whats you assumption on total number of petitions received this here.
          2. When the lottery would take place.

Warm Ragards

1. Only your employer and attorney can confirm you the receipt number.
          2. They dont attach a receipt when they receive an application, they issue receipts to applications selected in the lottery, as for tracking number, your employer/lawyer would certainly get it from the courier service being used by them to deliver the application.
          3. Yes it is fair, and they can give it only once its picked up and communicated to you. Of course they are not legally bound to share it with you.

You dont seem to be trusting this employer much, any particular reason?

Comment

Thanks Raghvi for your inputs.
            I do trust my employer, putting these questions here because i dont want to bug the HR and immigration people ,also I know i wont get such expect and detailed explanation.I also trust them coz they filed my petition last year too.
            Btw
            1. Whats you assumption on total number of petitions received this here.
            2. When the lottery would take place.

Warm Ragards
            Dont HR and Immigration team get paid to do answer your queries? :-)

1. Similar or slightly lesser than last year.
            2. Maybe towards Second week of April, if there is a lottery.

Comment

Thanks Raghvi For your answers.

Dont HR and Immigration team get paid to do answer your queries? :-)

1. Similar or slightly lesser than last year.
              2. Maybe towards Second week of April, if there is a lottery.

Comment

H1B Fraud

you will get a rejected receipt number from USCIS. Infact USCIS will send a Rejection letter along with the return package.
                Ask your H1B filing agency for the rejected Receipt letter from the USCIS.
                With that you can confirm that your H1B filing agency or company did your H1B filing or not.

There are many fraud agencies and companies who simply say there wont be any update in case of H1B rejection. Don't believe that. Ask them for the Rejection Receipt.

Comment

How to verify the rejection letter sent by employer is genuine?

Originally posted by madanmohan View Post
                  you will get a rejected receipt number from USCIS. Infact USCIS will send a Rejection letter along with the return package.
                  Ask your H1B filing agency for the rejected Receipt letter from the USCIS.
                  With that you can confirm that your H1B filing agency or company did your H1B filing or not.

There are many fraud agencies and companies who simply say there wont be any update in case of H1B rejection. Don't believe that. Ask them for the Rejection Receipt.
                  Hi Madanmohan,

If at all receive a rejection letter from the employer then how to validate? There is a 11 digit number displayed starting with EAC/WAC/SRC/LIC at the right bottom of the page next to the sentence "Save this notice for your records" and what about this number?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X