Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsor F1 Visa for Girl Friend

Hi,

I am working in the US on H1-B visa. My girl friend is in India. We are planning to get together in near future. One option for me is to marry her and bring her to US. This is not possible for another year and a half. Therefore, I thought of her studying in the US. The questions that I have are:

1) Can I be her sponsor for financial expenses in the US?
    2) Can she use my bank statements to apply in the US school and then for F1 Visa?

Thanks,
    Tarun
    Last edited by tarung1; 06-07-2015, 08:26 PM. Reason: Typo

All applications for B and F visas are a gamble. Consular officers make quick judgments based on the totality of the evidence provided. There is no one factor that - if met - will assure approval of the visa application. Can she use your income and assets? Yes, and you will need to provide a sworn affidavit attesting to that.

Certainly, her odds much lower than an applicant who has her own resources or relies on her parents resources. That is because she has no means to enforce your promise of support. Spouses are legally obligated to support each other under the laws of every state in the US. Parents have a culturally established pattern of supporting children through college.

I don't want to discourage her from pursuing a F-1 visa. What does she have to lose, other than $160 application fee? On the other hand, she would have no problems getting a H-4 visa, if she was the spouse or minor dependent of a H-1 visa-holder.
    Last edited by inadmissible; 06-07-2015, 08:22 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X