Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need a new passport to get H1B stamped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a new passport to get H1B stamped?

Hi,

I am currently in US working for a firm post my graduation (on OPT, cap gap) last year in May 2014 and I got my H1B approved in the latest cycle (valid from Oct 2015 to Sep 2018). I am planning on going to India in Oct 2015 to get the visa stamping done.

The consulate page (http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-typework.asp) says that:

Step 5
    For your Visa Application Centre appointment, you will need to bring:
    A passport valid for travel to the United States with validity dates at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person desiring a visa must submit an application.

My H1B has been approved till Sep 2018 but my passport expires in Jan 2018. DO I need to get a new passport for stamping?(one that expires after March 2019, end date+6 months)

Plz. advise

Read the message clearly. It says that your passport need to be valid for more than 6 months as of the date of the visa interview. In no place they mentioned that your passport need to be valid beyond the petition expiry date. Indian passport can be renewed only within 1 year from its expiry. You passport is good and you can appear for the visa interview. No need to renew it now.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X