H1B Transfer/Extension - RFE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Transfer/Extension - RFE

I am currently in USA on H1B on Company A and it is valid till 30-SEP-2015. Two weeks back, another company B applied for H1B transfer/extension under premium processing requesting for another 3 years validity. Now I got RFE(Request For Evidence) requesting more documentation from Company B/client letters. It is mentioned in RFE that employer needs to respond to the RFE by 17-NOV-2015.

Also, my spouse came to USA on H4 and its validity is till 30-SEP-2015. I am currently working on filing premium processing for COS (Change of Status) as my spouse 2015-H1B quota petition got approved till Sep-2017.

Questions
    ======

1. Is my legal presence in USA under H1B is VALID till 17-NOV-2015 (RFE response date) even my H1B expires 30-SEP-2015?

2. If answer to above question is NO, then what I need to do if I did not get my H1B transfer/extension approved by 30-SEP-2015?

3. If my spouse COS(H4 to H1B) is not approved by 30-SEP-2015, then what are the options for her legal presence? As my H1B-RFE response date is 17-Nov-2015, whether my spouse H4 also valid till that date?

Thanks,
    Vinod.
    Last edited by vinod_help; 09-05-2015, 09:55 PM.

Members,

Can some one clarify/suggest on below questions?

Thanks,
    Vinod.

Comment

Did your current employer file an extension. Have you already started working for the new employer even before the transfer got approved (using just the receipt notice)?
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
        Did your current employer file an extension. Have you already started working for the new employer even before the transfer got approved (using just the receipt notice)?
        I have not started working with the new employer(Company B) yet as petition status is RFE. I am with Company A only as its validity is there till 30-SEP-2015.

Thanks,
        Vinod.
        Last edited by vinod_help; 09-10-2015, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinod_help View Post
          I have not started working with the new employer(Company B) yet as petition status is RFE. I am with Company A only as its validity is there till 30-SEP-2017.

Thanks,
          Vinod.
          1. Is my legal presence in USA under H1B is VALID till 17-NOV-2015 (RFE response date) even my H1B expires 30-SEP-2015?
          >>> Nope. If you are currently with employer A, then your legal presence is valid only till the current employer's petition / I-94 expiry date. You cannot stay and work for employer A post 30th Sept 2015 if an extension is not filed before that date. If the current employer is not willing to file the extension, then you may switch to employer B and begin working post Sept 30th based on the receipt notice. If the transfer gets denied, then the time that you spent in U.S post your I-94 expiry date will be considered to be illegal stay and you should leave immediately.

2. If answer to above question is NO, then what I need to do if I did not get my H1B transfer/extension approved by 30-SEP-2015?
          >>> If employer A already filed your extension, then you can stay and work for that employer until a decision is made on your extension petition. If employer A did not file the extension, then switch to employer B and work until a decision is made on their petition. If extension/transfer gets denied, then you need to leave the country. A COS or a transfer is not possible when your I-94 as already expired.

3. If my spouse COS(H4 to H1B) is not approved by 30-SEP-2015, then what are the options for her legal presence? As my H1B-RFE response date is 17-Nov-2015, whether my spouse H4 also valid till that date?
          >>> No. Your wife's H4 will be valid only till her current I-94 expiry date. You can file the COS from H4 to H1B in premium to get the response within 15 days.

Comment

>>> Nope. If you are currently with employer A, then your legal presence is valid only till the current employer's petition / I-94 expiry date. You cannot stay and work for employer A post 30th Sept 2015 if an extension is not filed before that date. If the current employer is not willing to file the extension, then you may switch to employer B and begin working post Sept 30th based on the receipt notice. If the transfer gets denied, then the time that you spent in U.S post your I-94 expiry date will be considered to be illegal stay and you should leave immediately.

Thanks Shervin143 for your inputs.

sure, I will switch to employer B after 30-SEP-2015 based on receipt notice(current status- RFE) filed by employer B. Can a new employer C file H1-transfer(before my I-94 expiry date - As I understand from below answers that it can't be filed after I-94 expiration) while employer B's transfer is in process? I don't want to be in a position where my employer B's petition is denied and leave the country immediately.

Thanks,
            Vinod.

Comment

Yes. Another employer can file a transfer before your current I-94 expires. But you won't be able to switch between B and C without filing a transfer since both your transfer is filed based on Company A's petition.

Thanks Shervin143 for your inputs.

sure, I will switch to employer B after 30-SEP-2015 based on receipt notice(current status- RFE) filed by employer B. Can a new employer C file H1-transfer(before my I-94 expiry date - As I understand from below answers that it can't be filed after I-94 expiration) while employer B's transfer is in process? I don't want to be in a position where my employer B's petition is denied and leave the country immediately.

Thanks,
              Vinod.

Comment

>>> No. Your wife's H4 will be valid only till her current I-94 expiry date. You can file the COS from H4 to H1B in premium to get the response within 15 days.

I filed COS premium processing for my spouse's H4 to H1B processing.

If COS(H4 to H1B) gets RFE, then whether my spouse has valid immigration status after 30-SEP-2015? Whether RFE receipt status is considered as a valid document for status?

Thanks,
                Vinod.

Comment

Yes, she is allowed to stay when the COS is pending as long as the COS is filed before her I-94 expiry date (which applies in your case). But if the COS ultimately fails, then the time spent in U.S post the I-94 expiry date will be considered to be illegal stay and she will have to leave the country immediately provided the previous I-94 has already expired.

I filed COS premium processing for my spouse's H4 to H1B processing.

If COS(H4 to H1B) gets RFE, then whether my spouse has valid immigration status after 30-SEP-2015? Whether RFE receipt status is considered as a valid document for status?

Thanks,
                  Vinod.

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Applied in premium processing for H1B - Transfer/extension and my spouse's COS (H4 to H1B) and both got approved.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X