Change in DS160 after visa appointment confirmation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in DS160 after visa appointment confirmation

This is an informational post and not a question. I couldn't find much information online when I needed it but now that I've experienced the process, I thought I would share what I went through if it helps others in the future.

I had submitted a DS160 for myself and one for my spouse and used the respective confirmation numbers to book an appointment for the two of us at the Chennai, India consulate (biometric and consular). After doing so, I realized that I had several changes to make to our DS-160 forms. What the changes were is not important. The DS160 website does not allow you to redo the form once submitted and confirmed without generating a new bar code and confirmation number. USTraveldocs doesn't allow you to change the appointment information once the appointment is booked. What could I do at this point?

Based on the above information, at first glance, it would seem that the only way out of this quandary is to generate new DS160 forms, cancel the existing appointments, and book new ones. USTravelDocs doesn't have any information in their FAQ regarding this. The internet was filled with conflicting information (some saying you can go with a new DS160 to the current appointment and others saying you need to reschedule with the new DS160). What finally ended up happening was pleasantly easy and hassle-free.

As of mid-September, 2015, all I had to do was fill out new DS160 forms and generate the confirmation page with the barcode and number. When you go to the biometric appointment, inform the officers that you would like to use the new DS160 forms and not the one you used to book the appointment. They will use the forms the rest of the way. At the end of the biometric interview, you will have a DS160 barcode stuck to the back of the passport. Just make sure that this is the new DS160 and not the old one. In the Chennai biometric center, we had our form checked by at least 5 separate officers. We mentioned to each and every one of them about this change. At one point, the old barcode is first stuck to the passport. No worries, at the next station, upon informing the officer there, a new barcode was generated for the updated DS160 form and stuck over the old one. At the consular interview, the new DS160 was used and all issues were solved.

You can refill and update the DS160 form as many times as you'd like. Each time you submit, a new confirmation page is generated. Just use the one you'd like the consular officer to see.

Hope this helps!!

When did you do this? Recently I read somewhere the US Consulates (not traveldocs) have stopped allowing any changes to DS160 after booking appointment.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
      When did you do this? Recently I read somewhere the US Consulates (not traveldocs) have stopped allowing any changes to DS160 after booking appointment.
      My appointments were in the week of September 8, 2015.

I believe you're referring to the post on an immigration attorney's site. What they referred to has been true for a few years now and is not something new. The US state dept website where you fill out the DS160 form doesn't allow you to change a form once submitted. The only way to change it is by accepting the fact that a new confirmation code will be generated. This is nothing new. I really don't know what their intention was by posting something that has been known for quite some time. What is not clear from the post is if you can change the DS160 during the biometric appointment. This is what I clarify in my posting.
      Last edited by ker2usa; 09-11-2015, 09:56 PM. Reason: Removed reference to a site

Comment

Thanks a lot for the post. This is very useful as there is no good info out in the web.

I am in a similar situation. In my case, we have booked for a family appointment in chennai consulate with myself going for H1b stamping and my wife going for H4. My wife is currently in H1b and because of some personal reasons, we wanted to decide at the last minute whether she wants to go for H1b or H4 stamping. As choosing the H category for appointment (H4 vs H1b) happens as part of filing DS-160 form, Can we create a brand new DS-160 application (submitted) for my wife for H1b and swap it with the original application (H4 attached with the appointment) during the biometric appointment ?

Thanks a lot !!

Comment

Originally posted by ker2usa View Post
          My appointments were in the week of September 8, 2015.

I believe you're referring to the post on an immigration attorney's site. What they referred to has been true for a few years now and is not something new. The US state dept website where you fill out the DS160 form doesn't allow you to change a form once submitted. The only way to change it is by accepting the fact that a new confirmation code will be generated. This is nothing new. I really don't know what their intention was by posting something that has been known for quite some time. What is not clear from the post is if you can change the DS160 during the biometric appointment. This is what I clarify in my posting.
          I was referring to changing DS160 after booking the appointment. (submitting a new form). I think that is no longer allowed. Modifying a submitted DS160 was never ever allowed.
          This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

check out the last section on this link. They have clear instruction what option do you have in case you need to refill DS-160 after confirmation also

Comment

This is an informational post and not a question. I couldn't find much information online when I needed it but now that I've experienced the process, I thought I would share what I went through if it helps others in the future.

I had submitted a DS160 for myself and one for my spouse and used the respective confirmation numbers to book an appointment for the two of us at the Chennai, India consulate (biometric and consular). After doing so, I realized that I had several changes to make to our DS-160 forms. What the changes were is not important. The DS160 website does not allow you to redo the form once submitted and confirmed without generating a new bar code and confirmation number. USTraveldocs doesn't allow you to change the appointment information once the appointment is booked. What could I do at this point?

Based on the above information, at first glance, it would seem that the only way out of this quandary is to generate new DS160 forms, cancel the existing appointments, and book new ones. USTravelDocs doesn't have any information in their FAQ regarding this. The internet was filled with conflicting information (some saying you can go with a new DS160 to the current appointment and others saying you need to reschedule with the new DS160). What finally ended up happening was pleasantly easy and hassle-free.

As of mid-September, 2015, all I had to do was fill out new DS160 forms and generate the confirmation page with the barcode and number. When you go to the biometric appointment, inform the officers that you would like to use the new DS160 forms and not the one you used to book the appointment. They will use the forms the rest of the way. At the end of the biometric interview, you will have a DS160 barcode stuck to the back of the passport. Just make sure that this is the new DS160 and not the old one. In the Chennai biometric center, we had our form checked by at least 5 separate officers. We mentioned to each and every one of them about this change. At one point, the old barcode is first stuck to the passport. No worries, at the next station, upon informing the officer there, a new barcode was generated for the updated DS160 form and stuck over the old one. At the consular interview, the new DS160 was used and all issues were solved.

You can refill and update the DS160 form as many times as you'd like. Each time you submit, a new confirmation page is generated. Just use the one you'd like the consular officer to see.

Hope this helps!!

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I too have to make changes on the DS160 but have already booked my appointment.

So I can create a new DS 160 with correct details and take the new form to Bio metrics and get the new confirmation page updated.
              But for the Visa interview do I have to also take the old and new DS 160 forms and inform to Visa Officer as well (or) will my profile get updated with the new DS160 at the bio metrics center.

Thanks,
              Krishna

Comment

Hi,
                I am in a similar situation. Can you tell me if you were able to take the new ds 160 confirmation and attend the same interview slot?

Originally posted by Krishna1111 View Post
                Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I too have to make changes on the DS160 but have already booked my appointment.

So I can create a new DS 160 with correct details and take the new form to Bio metrics and get the new confirmation page updated.
                But for the Visa interview do I have to also take the old and new DS 160 forms and inform to Visa Officer as well (or) will my profile get updated with the new DS160 at the bio metrics center.

Thanks,
                Krishna

Comment

Which DS160 to carry along with the one used for VISA appintment

Hope this helps!!
                  Thanks a lot!
                  I have filled up DS160 thrice now. The VISA appointment is based on the first DS160. Do I need to carry just the last Ds160 that is the correct one? Or I need to carry the intermediate one also?
                  Please let me know at your earliest.

Comment

DS-160 confirmation number change for dependent after visa slot booking

Hi All,
                    I am also in a similar situation. I have created new DS-160 from the 3 years old one for my wife. And wrongly entered the old DS-160 confirmation number in ustraveldocs site and took the visa appointment .Can you please tell me if you were able to take the new ds 160 confirmation and attend the same interview slot?

Regards,
                    Srinivas.

Comment

I am also in a similar situation. Can you please tell me if you were able to take the new ds 160 confirmation and attend the same interview slot?

Regards,
                      Srinivas

Comment

carry only new DS160 confirmation

As of Aug 2016, I was able to use different DS160 than I made appointment with. They asked for DS160 I want to use. This need to done at OFC itself.

Comment

thx for posting this useful information

Hello,

thx a ton for posting this info here. I was able to swith the new DS-160 with the old one without any hassle at the delhi consulate.

Comment

New DS160 for ammended H1B, will I have to reschedule my appointment

If anyone can help me out here.

My employer filed my H1B this year(2016) and it got approved but the job title in tn my H1B documents was incorrect. My Employer didn't file an amendment immediately since acc. to our company's attorney it's better to wait for H1b to become active (i.e basically wait for october 1st when my H1b status becomes active). So I did wait, but meanwhile I filled out a DS160 form and booked my visa appointment at delhi consulate since I was planning to go to India in december.

Now my employer filed an amendment for my job title and H1b case got approved again.And my employer is asking me to again fill a new DS160.But if I do so I would have to book visa appointment again (which is not possible coz of huge waiting times for H1b visa appointments).

So my doubt is is there a way I can use my old scheduled visa appointment, since I already paid for it and due to heavy traffic I don't think I can get a new appointment so quickly (I am leaving for India in 2 weeks).

Please provide answers based on your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by sudeepsin1990 View Post
                              If anyone can help me out here.

My employer filed my H1B this year(2016) and it got approved but the job title in tn my H1B documents was incorrect. My Employer didn't file an amendment immediately since acc. to our company's attorney it's better to wait for H1b to become active (i.e basically wait for october 1st when my H1b status becomes active). So I did wait, but meanwhile I filled out a DS160 form and booked my visa appointment at delhi consulate since I was planning to go to India in december.

Now my employer filed an amendment for my job title and H1b case got approved again.And my employer is asking me to again fill a new DS160.But if I do so I would have to book visa appointment again (which is not possible coz of huge waiting times for H1b visa appointments).

So my doubt is is there a way I can use my old scheduled visa appointment, since I already paid for it and due to heavy traffic I don't think I can get a new appointment so quickly (I am leaving for India in 2 weeks).

Please provide answers based on your experience.
                              Hi Sudeep can you please sahre your experince regarding this ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X