Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I 797 Expiring (h1b) and i 94 is valid

Hi All,

My current i 797 is expiring November,2015 and i-94 valid till october, 2016. Based on this I have following queries :

i) I need to travel India in Dec,2015 with my family, so does it require to have new petition (extended one ) to enter back in US?
    ii) If i stayed here only, then can my family travel and can come back on that i-94?
    iii) Also my VISA is expiring On october,2016, so does it require to have re-stamping again(since my employer has changed)

Thanks in advance for all your responses!

How is that your petition is expiring in Nov 2015, but your visa and I-94 are issued until Oct 2016? Usually visa and I-94 are issued based on the petition expiry date. something doesn't seem right.

i) I need to travel India in Dec,2015 with my family, so does it require to have new petition (extended one ) to enter back in US?
    >>> Yes. You will need an extended petition and a valid visa to re-enter.

ii) If i stayed here only, then can my family travel and can come back on that i-94?
    >>> Nope. Your family will need your valid Petition (not your I-94) and they will need a valid dependent visa for them to travel back.

iii) Also my VISA is expiring On october,2016, so does it require to have re-stamping again(since my employer has changed)
    >>> Not required.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
      How is that your petition is expiring in Nov 2015, but your visa and I-94 are issued until Oct 2016? Usually visa and I-94 are issued based on the petition expiry date. something doesn't seem right.

>>> Yes. You will need an extended petition and a valid visa to re-enter.

>>> Nope. Your family will need your valid Petition (not your I-94) and they will need a valid dependent visa for them to travel back.

>>> Not required.
      Thanks for reply!

I changed employer here and stamped visa has validity till year 2016. Also my I 94 based on that port of entry.
      Then I did H1 transfer to new employer and so I got new petition from them with this year only.

Comment

If your H1B was transferred to a new employer, then the transferred petition (I-797 approval notice) would have come with a new I-94 attached. That should be the active I-94 and not the one you received at the POE. Search and read about the last action rule. If that I-94 expires in November, then you need to file an extension soon.

Originally posted by iamh1 View Post
        Thanks for reply!

I changed employer here and stamped visa has validity till year 2016. Also my I 94 based on that port of entry.
        Then I did H1 transfer to new employer and so I got new petition from them with this year only.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X