Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On H1. Have approved 140 but visa expires end of next year is it safe to switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On H1. Have approved 140 but visa expires end of next year is it safe to switch?

Hi all,

I am on H1 and have approved I140. My visa is going to expire in sep 2016. I heard that for extending my h1 I would need approved 140. If I am switching company now I wont be having enough time to get approved 140 by next september. Is it a good idea to switch now? Is it truly necessary to have approved 140 for extension? I finished 6 years in US (3 on L1 and 3 on H1). Please suggest.

Thanks
    Bapat

Originally posted by bapatuser View Post
    Hi all,

I am on H1 and have approved I140. My visa is going to expire in sep 2016. I heard that for extending my h1 I would need approved 140. If I am switching company now I wont be having enough time to get approved 140 by next september. Is it a good idea to switch now? Is it truly necessary to have approved 140 for extension? I finished 6 years in US (3 on L1 and 3 on H1). Please suggest.

Thanks
    Bapat
    Will your employer revoke the I140 once you resign?

Comment

Yes, you need an approved I-140 or a PERM that is pending for more than 365 days to get extension beyond the 6th year. However, your new employer can file a transfer now and request 3 years based on your current I-140 approval. If you get 3 years on the transfer, then it is safe to switch to the new employer since you will have enough time to file and get the PERM and I-140 approved before you need to file an extension with that employer later. If you do not get 3 years, then it is not advisable to switch.

Originally posted by bapatuser View Post
      Hi all,

Thanks
      Bapat
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Like above, don't switch before new employer actually gets 3 year approval in hand. Also, negotiate beforehand about how quickly they will file PERM. Avoid bodyshopping consulting companies.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X