Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport Renewal With I-94 Extension - Help Needed urgently

Hello All,

Recently visited India and got my h1b visa stamped till 2018. But at POE i got I-94 till the validity of my passport which is November 2016. Now I am planning to travel to India again in coming December 2015. I have couple of queries which i have mentioned related to passport renewal

1. Can i apply for passport renewal immediately or i have to wait till the passport validity is less than 1 yr?
    2. I re-searched and found out that while travelling to India and back to US the passport should be valid for 6 months atleast? Is this correct?
    3. I found that I have to apply for passport renewal at SFO. Did called the BLS customer service and they told me that it takes minimum 2-3 weeks for passport to get renewed. Will they renew in 2-3 weeks or they take more time?
    4. If I do not apply now and apply later once I am back from India, what will be the I-94 extension process?
    5. How tough in I-94 Extension process?
    6. Does it need entire h1b visa approval process?

I am really confused whether to apply now or later. Please suggest as I need your help and suggestion ASAP. Waiting for your replies

Thanks in advance

1. Can i apply for passport renewal immediately or i have to wait till the passport validity is less than 1 yr?
    >>> Indian passport can be renewed within 12 months from its expiry date.

2. I re-searched and found out that while travelling to India and back to US the passport should be valid for 6 months atleast? Is this correct?
    >>> Yes.

3. I found that I have to apply for passport renewal at SFO. Did called the BLS customer service and they told me that it takes minimum 2-3 weeks for passport to get renewed. Will they renew in 2-3 weeks or they take more time?
    >>> If you submit all required documents, then it will take less than a month to get the renewed passport. Anywhere between 3-4 weeks.

4. If I do not apply now and apply later once I am back from India, what will be the I-94 extension process?
    >>> The employer will need to file the H1B extension again before your I-94 expiry date.

5. How tough in I-94 Extension process?
    >>> It depends in the documents your employer submits. It is nothing but the H1B petition extension that will come with a new I-94 attached.

6. Does it need entire h1b visa approval process?
    >>> Visa and petition are two different things. No need to apply for the visa. Petition need to be extended to get a new I-94.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you for your inputs

Few more qureries

1. My h1b visa is valid till 2018. If I apply for new passport and get it in time will I have to again go for stamping in my new passport?

2. Do I have to carry my old passport and new passport always with me while travelling?

Comment

1. My h1b visa is valid till 2018. If I apply for new passport and get it in time will I have to again go for stamping in my new passport?
        >>> Not required. The visa in the old passport will still be valid. You need to carry both your passports (new and old) when you travel.

2. Do I have to carry my old passport and new passport always with me while travelling?
        >>> Yes. Because you need a valid passport to travel (which is your new passport) and a valid H1B visa to enter U.S (Which will be in your old passport).
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X