Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Visa Status AND how to get passport back from consulate

Hi All,

Recently I have attended USA H1B visa interview process on 16th Nov 2015 in chennai.

Visa Officer(VO) asked below questions:

1. Who is your employer..?
    2. Who is your client..?
    3. Are you going to work from client location ..?
    4. On which kind of products your are going to work ..?

I answered everything and VO checked something on his system and said OK.
    And he kept my passport with him and given rules and regulations booklet.
    I said "thank you" and left the counter. As of now I was in assumption that, MY VISA IS APPROVED.

I have checked my visa status in https://ceac.state.gov, it is showing as "Administrative Processing"..

Experts, Could please answer below queries..,
    1. When will I get my passport with visa stamp ..?
    2. As I need to travel to abroad (Other than USA) for an urgent need, is it possible to get my passport back from consulate ..? If yes, please let me know whom/how should I contact them ..?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions..

Sincerely,
    Venkat.

It will take at least 2 weeks to get the passport back. If you need the passport back immediately, then you can write a letter to the consulate mentioning that you would like to withdraw your visa application and the consulate will send you passport back without the visa. But if you do that, then going forward, you will need to mention it as a visa rejection in any future DS160 that you fill. You just went for visa interview two days ago. So be a little patient. Ignore the online case status until you hear back from the consulate. If there is an issue, they will issue a 221g within 2 weeks and then you can send the letter to get your passport back.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hi Shervin143,

Thanks for the response.
      I don't want to withdraw my visa application.
      I thought of taking passport from consulate to travel abroad and submit passport back to consulate once return to India.

Do you mean, taking passport back from consulate means withdrawing visa application.

Please let me know, your response.

Thanks in advance...

Regrads,
      Venkat.

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
      It will take at least 2 weeks to get the passport back. If you need the passport back immediately, then you can write a letter to the consulate mentioning that you would like to withdraw your visa application and the consulate will send you passport back without the visa. But if you do that, then going forward, you will need to mention it as a visa rejection in any future DS160 that you fill. You just went for visa interview two days ago. So be a little patient. Ignore the online case status until you hear back from the consulate. If there is an issue, they will issue a 221g within 2 weeks and then you can send the letter to get your passport back.

Comment

That will make it really complicated. You can do that in case of a 221g. But if the visa is through and if it is just the matter of getting the passport back with a stamped visa, then wait for 2 more weeks. If your case goes into 221g, then you can write to teh consulate mentioning your situation and let them know that you would like to continue with visa application, but would like to take the passport for a short travel and will return it back to the consulate when you are back from your trip.

Originally posted by venkat88 View Post
        Hi Shervin143,

Thanks for the response.
        I don't want to withdraw my visa application.
        I thought of taking passport from consulate to travel abroad and submit passport back to consulate once return to India.

Do you mean, taking passport back from consulate means withdrawing visa application.

Please let me know, your response.

Thanks in advance...

Regrads,
        Venkat.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

visa status is updated as Issued

Hi Shervin143,

Thanks for the response.
          My visa status is updated as Issued on 19th Nov 2015 and on the same day I have received email regsring passport collection.

Thanks immihelp for the information provided to prepare interview.

Thanks,
          Venkat.

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X