Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension after visa expiry

Hi All,

I have stayed in the US for approximately 4 years , now I have returned back to India and have been here for 7 to 8 months, my extension petition is expiring on Feb 23 2016, now does this mean after 23 Feb I can no longer use this visa?, if at all I want to go back to US, should I apply a new one and start from beginning (go through the lot and everything) or since I have not completed 6 years with this visa, I can use the same and extend 2 more years without going through lot process? also is there a time limit before which I have to start this extension process?

Also if above is true then if I change my employer, will the new employer be able to use this same visa? what documents should I be having with me for this ?

Thanks in advance

Can someone please help me on this question?

Comment

The same employer can extend your petition even after the petition expiry date. Also, any new employer can file a transfer post the petition expiry date as long as you have a copy of your previous H1B approval. The extension or transfer can be filed within 6 years from its initial effective date. You don't need to go through quota again.
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks a lot shervin143.

I have one more question, my old employer is asking me to return the petition, if I return it may new employer can no longer extend it ? , do I need the original or a scanned copy is enough for extension?

Comment

Originally posted by depakjan View Post
          Thanks a lot shervin143.

I have one more question, my old employer is asking me to return the petition, if I return it may new employer can no longer extend it ? , do I need the original or a scanned copy is enough for extension?
          You can return the original, but do keep copies with you.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X