Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visas revoked by Chennai US Consulate

Hi,

I am a H1B holder currently working in the US. My H1B visa was stamped in 2013 (Chennai consulate) and it is valid till June 2016. Today I got an email from Chennai US consulate stating this
    "This message is being sent to inform you that the non-immigrant U.S. visas which you currently hold have been revoked in accordance with the United States Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The visas are no longer considered valid for travel to the United States. Following the interview at the U.S. Consulate General in Chennai and the subsequent issuance of the visa, additional information became available that indicates you may no longer be eligible for the visas issued. If you desire to travel to the U.S. you must apply for a new visa, at which time your eligibility for the visa will be reviewed and the application adjudicated accordingly."

There was no cause or reason mentioned in the email. Please help me understand my current situation and options.
    Can I continue working here in the US based on my valid I-797 (checked the receipt notice online and still says approved)?
    Should I go back to India and do another visa stamping?
    Can I file for a visa extension now (I got my I-140 approved last month)?
    Any help would be really appreciated

Thank You
    PP

Weird! It could be a mistake. When someone goes for a visa stamping and if their case goes into admin processing and later the consulate decided to decline the visa, then they send out these notifications. But for a person who already got their visa approved and for someone who is already in U.S, this is weird for sure. This only talks about yoru visa and not about your H1B petition. Your H1B petition unless revoked will remain valid. You can stay and work until the H1B petition and I-94 remains valid. Visa is only needed when you leave U.S and want to re-enter. I would suggest that you write to the U.S consulate in detail and ask them for more details. It feels like a mistake.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
      Weird! It could be a mistake. When someone goes for a visa stamping and if their case goes into admin processing and later the consulate decided to decline the visa, then they send out these notifications. But for a person who already got their visa approved and for someone who is already in U.S, this is weird for sure. This only talks about yoru visa and not about your H1B petition. Your H1B petition unless revoked will remain valid. You can stay and work until the H1B petition and I-94 remains valid. Visa is only needed when you leave U.S and want to re-enter. I would suggest that you write to the U.S consulate in detail and ask them for more details. It feels like a mistake.
      Hi Shervin

Thanks for the reply. I called the consulate helpdesk yesterday and they confirmed the visa revocation. But they did not provide any further details on why it was revoked. I called the customs and border protection today and they said as long as my petition is valid, I can legally continue to stay and work in the US. I am planning to talk to an attorney today to figure out my next steps.

Thanks

Comment

Very strange. Instead of calling the help desk, i suggest you write directly to the consulate. The help desk will not have much information other than whether the visa is currently valid or not. As long as your petition and I-94 are valid, you can continue to stay and work. You can also file extensions when your I-94 is about to expire. No issues with all that. If you leave U.S, then you cannot re-enter back without appearing for the H1B visa interview.

Originally posted by paddy123 View Post
        Hi Shervin

Thanks for the reply. I called the consulate helpdesk yesterday and they confirmed the visa revocation. But they did not provide any further details on why it was revoked. I called the customs and border protection today and they said as long as my petition is valid, I can legally continue to stay and work in the US. I am planning to talk to an attorney today to figure out my next steps.

Thanks
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Same issue for me too

Hi Paddy123,

I got the same email. I came to US on student visa back in 2011. Couple of months ago I went to India for H1b stamping. It was approved on jan second week. And I woke up to this email this morning(03-23). Please let me know if you have any information on this.

Email content:

"""""""This message is being sent to inform you that the non-immigrant U.S. visa which you currently hold has been revoked in accordance with the United States Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The visa is no longer considered valid for travel to the United States. Following the interview at the U.S. Consulate General in Chennai and the subsequent issuance of the visa, additional information became available that indicates you may no longer be eligible for the visa issued. If you desire to travel to the U.S. you must apply for a new visa, at which time your eligibility for the visa will be reviewed and the application adjudicated accordingly.

Sincerely,

U.S. Consulate General, Chennai

+91 44 2857 4000

Privacy/PII
          This email is UNCLASSIFIED."""""""

Thanks,
          Harsha.

Comment

Visa revocation

Did any of you had any arrest like DWI or DUi recently. My visa was also revoked because of that. Can you all tell me what is your status now. Did u have any issue in getting your H1 or extension of your OPT??

Hi,

I am a H1B holder currently working in the US. My H1B visa was stamped in 2013 (Chennai consulate) and it is valid till June 2016. Today I got an email from Chennai US consulate stating this
            "This message is being sent to inform you that the non-immigrant U.S. visas which you currently hold have been revoked in accordance with the United States Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The visas are no longer considered valid for travel to the United States. Following the interview at the U.S. Consulate General in Chennai and the subsequent issuance of the visa, additional information became available that indicates you may no longer be eligible for the visas issued. If you desire to travel to the U.S. you must apply for a new visa, at which time your eligibility for the visa will be reviewed and the application adjudicated accordingly."

There was no cause or reason mentioned in the email. Please help me understand my current situation and options.
            Can I continue working here in the US based on my valid I-797 (checked the receipt notice online and still says approved)?

Thank You
            PP

Comment

Visa revoke

i came to last year and got mail yestarday.. any idea

Thank You
              MR

Comment

Originally posted by Miami@1234 View Post

Thank You
                MR

Hi MR, Did you had any arrest like DWI or DUI recently? Check your i94 history status?

Comment

Thank You
                  MR

I got the same email from chennai consulate,but i did not have any DUI.Tried contacting the consulate,but they did not provide any additional information.
                  Please reply if anyone is falling on the same category?

Thanks

Comment

Visa Revoked

[QUOTE=Miami@1234;474271]I am a H1B holder currently working in the US. My H1B visa was stamped in 2015 (Chennai consulate) and it is valid till June 2018 Today I got an email from Chennai US consulate stating this

I don't have any DUI/DWI history, but when under my i94 history port of exit showing as I have travelled with out any port name (actually I didn't left the country)

Any idea?

Thank You
                    MRR

Comment

Hi,

Thank You
                      PP
                      One would need to see past approval notices, status maintenance, employer /employment history, etc. to try to understand USCIS, and consulate intent. I would suggest writing an email and if no response received within a month, to travel to India and attend the visa stamping.

This is my opinion not legal advice

Comment

[QUOTE=Miami@1234;474527]
                        I am a H1B holder currently working in the US. My H1B visa was stamped in 2015 (Chennai consulate) and it is valid till June 2018 Today I got an email from Chennai US consulate stating this

I don't have any DUI/DWI history, but when under my i94 history port of exit showing as I have travelled with out any port name (actually I didn't left the country)

Any idea?

Thank You
                        MRR

"i am in the same situation, could you or anyone from this thread tell me what happened after you got the email ? did you have to travel ? or if you traveled and got the visa stamped again ?

Comment

h1b revoked by call from chennai consulate

Hi all,

Im in the same situation now. Had f1 to H1 COS in October 1, 2016. Was in 221g from Nov 28 2016 to Feb 15 2017. Got H1 stamped on Feb 16 2017. But I got a call from Chennai consulate on Feb 27 2016 that the current visa is invalid and I need to go for stamping again.

Worried on how to proceed.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Shervin

Thanks

Hi Paddy,

I have received the same email today. I was unable to figure out the reason behind this. Can you please let me know what was the reason behind this mail and what have you done for this.

Comment

Hi Shervin

Thanks
                              Hi Paddy,

I have received the same email today from [email protected] without any further details. Can you please let me know what the mail intends and how you have dealt with it.

Thanks,
                              Harsha.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X