Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• on OPT, H1 in process in April'16- Safe to travel in July? f-1 visa expired

Hello,

My company will be filing for my H-1 this April. My F-1 has expired and I will be on OPT in summer. Is it safe to travel outside US and re-enter US in the month of July? What are the risks involved if 1) My H1 gets picked in the lottery 2) H1 doesn't get picked in the lottery? Kindly advice

I was in an exact same situation two years ago. I found a job in Amazon in Seattle in 2014 and me and my wife were on F-1 visa. I was on OPT. But, both me and my wife's F-1 was expired and Microsoft wanted to file my H-1 the same year. That was my last chance for filing an H1. That same year, due to my wife's health condition we had to go to India in June suddenly. I read in forums that I cannot safely travel back to US due to my H-1 being in process. Microsoft's lawyers told me that it is okay to travel in either case. I can travel even if its selected in lottery or not. My H1 got selected in lottery. I flew to Pune and went to Mumbai consulate and got my F-1 stamped without any problems. Overall it was an easy, hassel free travel for me. Then all I did was come back in October to have a H1 stamp on my passport.

Comment

Originally posted by rohitkulkarni View Post
      I was in an exact same situation two years ago. I found a job in Amazon in Seattle in 2014 and me and my wife were on F-1 visa. I was on OPT. But, both me and my wife's F-1 was expired and Microsoft wanted to file my H-1 the same year. That was my last chance for filing an H1. That same year, due to my wife's health condition we had to go to India in June suddenly. I read in forums that I cannot safely travel back to US due to my H-1 being in process. Microsoft's lawyers told me that it is okay to travel in either case. I can travel even if its selected in lottery or not. My H1 got selected in lottery. I flew to Pune and went to Mumbai consulate and got my F-1 stamped without any problems. Overall it was an easy, hassel free travel for me. Then all I did was come back in October to have a H1 stamp on my passport.
      Hello,

I am in a similar position now. My company will be applying for my H1B this April. My initial OPT is expiring on 18th May & I have already filled for OPT Stem Extension. My Brother is getting married on 22nd April. Is it safe to travel?

My lawyer is saying that she will file for my H1B classification and not for change of status since I will be leaving USA after the petition is filed. She also mentioned that I will to travel back to India in October to get my H1B stamped, if it gets picked up. Is it necessary? Can I not continue working on OPT and get the stamp sometime next year? If H1B gets selected does OPT gets terminated automatically?

How many days will I need to get my Visa stamped in Mumbai?

And what if my H1B is not selected?

Please help!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X