Legal separation and H4 renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal separation and H4 renewal

I am in a situation where my husband has stranded me with no money since 3 months.
    He has taken all my jewelry and cash and insurance etc.
    It is not a criminal offence to do so in US I suppose. He hasn't filed for divorce either.

1- can I report this to immigration authorities of India in US? Ministry of external affairs? Indian embassy?

2- if I go about filing for a legal separation for getting spousal support and H4 expires in between , is he liable to renew my H4 along with his H1?
    What can I do to remain in US, considering I will be able to get a job in 2-3 months but the H1 window would have been closed by then.

You have explain about your financial situation but still it would best to consult an expert attorney.
    This is not a legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jnk View Post
      You have explain about your financial situation but still it would best to consult an expert attorney.

I am totally dependent on him. I have no money at all

Comment

You can probably report to the local police.

I don't think you can report to any of the other authorities you mentioned. Even if you try, they are not going to do anything about it.

You could also try with some local woman help line or something like that.

You can't force him to file for extending your H4. If your H4 expires, you could try filing for change of status to B1 by filing Form I-539. However, that would also cost some money.
        Immihelp Support
        No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Originally posted by immihelp View Post
          You can probably report to the local police.

I don't think you can report to any of the other authorities you mentioned. Even if you try, they are not going to do anything about it.

You could also try with some local woman help line or something like that.

You can't force him to file for extending your H4. If your H4 expires, you could try filing for change of status to B1 by filing Form I-539. However, that would also cost some money.
          If I get employed during my tenure as H4, changing to B1 will not let me work in US, right?
          What can I / my employer do in that case to be legally allowed to work

Comment

They can file your H1visa.
            Immihelp Support

Comment

Originally posted by delhigirl View Post
              If I get employed during my tenure as H4, changing to B1 will not let me work in US, right?
              What can I / my employer do in that case to be legally allowed to work
              You cannot work while on B1. You need EAD/H1/L1 to be allowed to work. Do not complicate your situation by involving in illegal work.

As suggested, reach out to a help group http://www.sakhi.org/ is an example.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you Raghvi for providing useful link.
                Immihelp Support

Comment

Originally posted by immihelp View Post
                  Thank you Raghvi for providing useful link.
                  The site has listing and contact details of similar support groups in other States:

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Does woman commission of India do anything to complaints submitted to them against a NRI husbands?

Comment

Its a long process in India, eventually it won't make any sense. There are many holes your husband can enjoy.

Mallya is still not back in India...
                      - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
                        Its a long process in India, eventually it won't make any sense. There are many holes your husband can enjoy.

Mallya is still not back in India...
                        You're right. Thanks !

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X