Moving to new company after I-140 approval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to new company after I-140 approval

First of all, let me apologize for asking a question that has probably been asked before. I did my best to search in this haystack but did not find an answer for my question.

I work for a company ABC and got my I-140 approved and H1B extended beyond the first 6 years. This is the second year of the extension. I have 1.5 years on my H1B as of now.

I now want to move to a different company XYZ. The new company is willing to transfer H1B and is willing to file for GC (restart the whole process, sigh!) after an initial evaluation period.

These are my questions:

When I move to XYZ, can I ask them to immediately file for an extension for another 3 years? That is, can they file for another 3 year extension based on my approved I-140 with ABC even though I have 1.5 years left on current H1B extension? When can they file for extension?

Can I ask XYZ to first get me the additional extension (so that I will have 4.5 years cushion) before I join them? This will save me if ABC decides to revoke I-140. My problem is that even though I have 1.5 years on current H1B, XYZ will have to quickly go through all the initial stages of the new GC process and it will take one year, which will cut too close to H1B expiry.

Is there a database where I can see if ABC has cancelled I-140s in the past. I have a good relationship with ABC but they might cancel my I-140 as a matter of process. How common is I-140 cancellation? ABC is a reputable company and not a body shop or anything.

Will the current supreme court hearing help people like me in any way? Mine is EB2 GC.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. This whole H1B-GC process really is a well-designed modern day slavery system.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X