Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Cruise through Canada with H-1B not stamped

Hi,

My husband has an approved H-1B (I-797) but that is not stamped on his passport since he did not travel outside the country since selected in the lottery. He has an expired F1 visa on his passport.
    We are going to Alaska on a cruise in September and the cruise will stop in Vancouver (Canada) for a few hours. Can he go on the cruise without the H-1B stamping? What paperwork do we need to carry?

Thanks

Your husband can go on the cruise, but cannot leave the ship at Canadian stops unless an immigration officer gives him the okay while on the ship.

--Ray B

Originally posted by ShipInTheSea View Post
    Hi,

My husband has an approved H-1B (I-797) but that is not stamped on his passport since he did not travel outside the country since selected in the lottery. He has an expired F1 visa on his passport.
    We are going to Alaska on a cruise in September and the cruise will stop in Vancouver (Canada) for a few hours. Can he go on the cruise without the H-1B stamping? What paperwork do we need to carry?

Thanks

Comment

I have heard that immigration people check the paperwork before boarding the cruise and they don't allow boarding if someone has travel restrictions. How can I make sure that I have everything they need and am not sent away from boarding point.
      Please help.

Comment

I don't think it works quite like that. My experience, over several cruises, is that anyone whose visa type does not allow leaving the U.S. will stay on the ship during docking at versions stops.

Also, why does he have an expired F1 visa? That should have resulted in his obtaining a Green Card upon arrival in the States, unless he never used the approved F1 visa.

If any doubt, however, you need to check with the cruise company regarding travel and docking restrictions of those with expired visas and visa peculiarities as you describe.

--Ray B
        \
        Originally posted by ShipInTheSea View Post
        I have heard that immigration people check the paperwork before boarding the cruise and they don't allow boarding if someone has travel restrictions. How can I make sure that I have everything they need and am not sent away from boarding point.
        Please help.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X