Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport renewal while Visa in process

Hi,

I am from India and have applied for H1B visa.

My h1b visa is under processing and my passport will expire after 14 months from now.

I have few questions related passport renewal and visa -

1. I want to renew my passport after 2 months as we can renew before 1 year of expiry but during last 10 years my middle name got removed from all my documents unknowingly.Earlier in my passport my name was Rajesh kumar Singh but now on my PAN card, adhar card DL and every other document has my name as Rajesh Singh only. So If I got for renewal now I will be changing my name from Rajesh Kumar singh to Rajesh Kumar.Also my marital status and address will be changed.
    WOuld it affect Visa stamping in any way?? since in my Visa application these details will differ. So Suppose I go for stamping with my new passport would it matter?

2. If I don't get my passport renewd now and go for stamping with the old passport that would get expired after 14 months, what problems I might face in that case?? like I have read somewhere they would give visa only until my passport expires?? Also Do I need to come back India for Visa extension in that case??

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by gama View Post
    Hi,

I am from India and have applied for H1B visa.

My h1b visa is under processing and my passport will expire after 14 months from now.

I have few questions related passport renewal and visa -

1. I want to renew my passport after 2 months as we can renew before 1 year of expiry but during last 10 years my middle name got removed from all my documents unknowingly.Earlier in my passport my name was Rajesh kumar Singh but now on my PAN card, adhar card DL and every other document has my name as Rajesh Singh only. So If I got for renewal now I will be changing my name from Rajesh Kumar singh to Rajesh Kumar.Also my marital status and address will be changed.
    WOuld it affect Visa stamping in any way?? since in my Visa application these details will differ. So Suppose I go for stamping with my new passport would it matter?

2. If I don't get my passport renewd now and go for stamping with the old passport that would get expired after 14 months, what problems I might face in that case?? like I have read somewhere they would give visa only until my passport expires?? Also Do I need to come back India for Visa extension in that case??

Thanks in advance.
    What was the name given in I129? What about your degree? First decide what is the name you want to keep and get it consistent in all the documents, otherwise it can give problems in future when you go for GC processing. Also, the passport name should at least match the I797.

There is no such rule, the visa would generally be given till the I797 expiry if passport is expiring more than 6 Months in the future.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Raghavi!!.
      the receipt that i got (Form797C) has my name as - Rajesh Kumar Singh, No name given.
      IN degree also my name is Rajesh Kumar Singh.

So What should I do? Should I go ahead and get my name changed in passport to Rajesh Singh(Surname: Singh, Given Name: Rajesh) so as to make it consistent with my professional documents and other docs like DL, PAN Card Adhar Card etc. and then go for Visa stamping? Would there be any problem because my Form I797 have a different name then?

Or

Should I go for Visa stamping on my old passport and then get my name fixed in passport as well as I797 and other petition docs after that?

Please suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by gama View Post
        Thanks for the reply Raghavi!!.
        the receipt that i got (Form797C) has my name as - Rajesh Kumar Singh, No name given.
        IN degree also my name is Rajesh Kumar Singh.

So What should I do? Should I go ahead and get my name changed in passport to Rajesh Singh(Surname: Singh, Given Name: Rajesh) so as to make it consistent with my professional documents and other docs like DL, PAN Card Adhar Card etc. and then go for Visa stamping? Would there be any problem because my Form I797 have a different name then?

Or

Should I go for Visa stamping on my old passport and then get my name fixed in passport as well as I797 and other petition docs after that?

Please suggest.
        Option 1. change in Passport and I797 as that seems easier to do.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X