Lost H4 Approval Notice I797

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost H4 Approval Notice I797

We got my H1B and my wife and kid's H4 visa extended this year (for an year). However, we seem to have misplaced my wife's H4 I797 document original.

Questions:

1. Is wife's H4 approval notice mandatory while applying for H1B/H4 extension for next year?
    2. While getting H4 stamped in India, would the physical I797 for my wife be required or my H1B extension I797 document is sufficient?
    3. USCIS seems to charge sky-high fees of $460 which is another pain requesting for a duplicate of I797.

I would highly appreciate any help/guidance in this regard.

Thanks,
    NJ

Originally posted by nileshjoshi78 View Post
    We got my H1B and my wife and kid's H4 visa extended this year (for an year). However, we seem to have misplaced my wife's H4 I797 document original.

Questions:

1. Is wife's H4 approval notice mandatory while applying for H1B/H4 extension for next year?
    2. While getting H4 stamped in India, would the physical I797 for my wife be required or my H1B extension I797 document is sufficient?
    3. USCIS seems to charge sky-high fees of $460 which is another pain requesting for a duplicate of I797.

I would highly appreciate any help/guidance in this regard.

Thanks,
    NJ
    1. Not mandatory but that is the only proof you have of her valid status approval.
    2. Your I797 should be enough.
    3. One should be extra careful with critical documents especially immigration related while in a alien country.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

H4 i797 lost in the mail

I am travelling in the same boat right now as my lawyer sent the original i797 to a wrong address and it got lost. I have my original i797 and my wife's scanned copy for i797. Is this sufficient for stamping?
      Would greatly appreciate on help on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Varun Mehta View Post
        I am travelling in the same boat right now as my lawyer sent the original i797 to a wrong address and it got lost. I have my original i797 and my wife's scanned copy for i797. Is this sufficient for stamping?
        Would greatly appreciate on help on this.
        I think it should be enough.

Comment

Thanks Raghvi for your response. I am not going to apply for a duplicate then. I hope it all goes well.

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
          I think it should be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Varun Mehta View Post
            Thanks Raghvi for your response. I am not going to apply for a duplicate then. I hope it all goes well.
            Hi Varun

I am in the same boat as you. I have my original I797 forms with regard to my Visa approval.
            But I dont have the original 797 for my wife & son (I have a soft copy of the approvals for them).
            Is that good enough?

Did you have any problems while going for the VISA interview?

appreciate your reply.

Thanks
            Rajesh

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X