Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H4 Daughter going to college Pls suggest should covert to F1 or H4 may be better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 Daughter going to college Pls suggest should covert to F1 or H4 may be better?

Hi Guys, I am a worried father of a daughter on H4 visa, going to college next year. Please suggest should I continue her Visa as H4 or convert to F1 to be able to work part time during college? Most of the colleges in Massachusetts are considering as International student. Even I am not able to file FAFSA as she does not have a SSN although she got a few scholarship letters from a few colleges.

Any complication or benefit of remaining on H4 as she will be 18 next year.

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Harindermohan View Post
    Hi Guys, I am a worried father of a daughter on H4 visa, going to college next year. Please suggest should I continue her Visa as H4 or convert to F1 to be able to work part time during college? Most of the colleges in Massachusetts are considering as International student. Even I am not able to file FAFSA as she does not have a SSN although she got a few scholarship letters from a few colleges.

Any complication or benefit of remaining on H4 as she will be 18 next year.

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance
    My recommendation is that she should apply for F1. She can legally study on H4 but she can't work. She can't accept any assistantship or campus job on H4. In short, a person on H4 can't accept earnings from ANY source. Only benefit H4 offers is the in-state tuition fee. Also keep in mind that she can't continue on H4 after she turned 21.
    This is just my opinion, not a legal advice.

Comment

Go for F1

Originally posted by SKDS160 View Post
      My recommendation is that she should apply for F1. She can legally study on H4 but she can't work. She can't accept any assistantship or campus job on H4. In short, a person on H4 can't accept earnings from ANY source. Only benefit H4 offers is the in-state tuition fee. Also keep in mind that she can't continue on H4 after she turned 21.
      Hi,
      My suggestion is strongly recommended F1 at this time. As other member suggested that the main important about campus jobs CPT and OPT if targeting for future job visas in future. Forget H4 EAD for kids at all. Also on F1 she will get tax benefits refunds / returns as international student. H4 will be your dependent only. Keep in mind you can file her status of adjustment in future prior to age 21 if your GC visa date equal your PD even if she on F1. So, why you want H4 for her? many institutions also strongly recommended F1 for campus CPT jobs. Rest is your choice.

Comment

Hi Hari, Could you please give your experience what you endup doing H4/F1. I am in your state now, still confused which way to go.

Comment

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X