How to sell house, cars, belongings when laid off and out of status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sell house, cars, belongings when laid off and out of status

I am wondering what to do or what people have done when they are laid off and out of status. One would obviously have accumulated some stuff, most of it can be thrown away but the problem is with big stuff like furniture, cars and a house perhaps.

I have read that one is out-of-status the very day the job is terminated and ideally has to pack up and leave. So the obvious question is how to sell all the stuff? House and cars cannot be sold in a day! so what are the options?
    I have also read that a smart thing to do is to apply for a change of status to B2 (visitor) the very day of termination or if possible before that. This probably gives time to sell all the stuff and leave without over staying while being out of status. Does one file a change of status by himself or through a lawyer? What is the average cost of going through a lawyer?

Has someone experienced such a situation or know of someone who has experienced such a situation. Ideally it would be best if people share their experience and even better if an immigration lawyer shares his knowledge.

I tried looking on the internet but didn't found a single thread that gives a clear picture.

This should answer part of your questions: https://www.uscis.gov/tools/ombudsma...lowing-economy

As for the house and cars, Look for someone who buys houses quickly. You can find the signs on almost every corner in some places. And for the car, try Car Max if there is one in your area. They will buy your car even if you are not planning to buy from them. And for belongings have a garage sale....

Hope this helps
    Just my opinion... Use at your own risk...

Comment

Did you get any answer on how to change the status to B2 to get some time before leaving USA. Please share your experience, how to go about it, do by ourselves or by lawyer. Thanks

Comment

Did you get any answer on how to change the status to B2 to get some time before leaving USA. Please share your experience, how to go about it, do by ourselves or by lawyer. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RcnRcf View Post
          I am wondering what to do or what people have done when they are laid off and out of status. One would obviously have accumulated some stuff, most of it can be thrown away but the problem is with big stuff like furniture, cars and a house perhaps.
          You can grant durable Power of Attorney to a trusted friend who will dispose of your belongings in an orderly fashion.

Or you can just marry an American citizen and continue to live here

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X