H1B for British passport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B for British passport?

My brother and SIL are British citizens. I am a US citizen. I have the following questions:

1. If my SIL and brother get a job in the US, will they have to get an H1B or does UK and USA have any special treaties/agreements allow them to apply for any other legal status?

2. How long does the H1B process typically take for UK passport holders (taking into account any H1B quota, application processing time etc.)?

3. Am I able to sponsor them for a green card and how long does that typically take?

Thank you in advance!

Guha

Lots of different visa's, but nothing that helps them just because they are UKC's.

Same as for anybody else, apply by April 1st, enter the lottery and if successful 1st October start.

You can sponsor siblings, say 15 years or so.

Comment

Thank you - one follow up question

How does the quota work? Is it a general pool of applicants from all countries or is it only against all UK citizens (in their case)? Going by past data, does it get filled soon each year?

Comment

Originally posted by gsrivatsa View Post
        How does the quota work? Is it a general pool of applicants from all countries or is it only against all UK citizens (in their case)? Going by past data, does it get filled soon each year?
        Total 85K H1 available every year, 20K reserved for Master's quota and rest 65K for Master's + Bachelor's. As per current rules, the Quota is only for Masters and non Masters/Bachelor's or equivalent. So if you have done Master's from an eligible, US based institution, and your job also requires a Master's degree then you can be part of the pool of 20,000 H1 visa slots.

Typically in the past 3 Years (2014, 15, 16) there have been a lottery as the applications are more than the 85K available. US Master degree cap eligible generally get two stabs at the lottery (once as part of 20K and if not selected then again as part of the 65 K remainder).

No special preference for any country citizens.

The H-1B program allows companies and other employers in the United States to temporarily employ foreign workers in occupations that require the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge and a bachelor’s degree or higher in the specific specialty, or its equivalent. 

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X