Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice for going from j-1 to h1b

Hi,

First time poster here. I met my girlfriend several months ago who is currently on a J-1 (au pair) visa. I would very much like her to stay, as does she, so our goal is try to get her on a work visa so she can stay for the long term.

She currently has one year left of studies for her undergraduate degree in Spain (which can also be completed online), and I understand that H1Bs require a bachelors. However, she does have a lot of work experience, and I have read that 3 years of work experience can be used in lieu of 1 year of education?

Anyway, her visa expires in september 2017, so our current plan is to have her find work by the time her visa expires. She has a background in human resources, so we are thinking of having her interview for cap-exempt institutions for administrative roles. For example, there are many well-endowed universities where I live, so we are going to apply to those. Has anyone had experience with applying for cap-exempt institutions, specifically for administrative roles, and their success?

If she can't find work by then, she'll probably have to apply for a student visa to buy her some time so she can apply again for work. I'm trying to see if this is a reasonable plan. Thanks, I appreciate any input!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X