Got 221g after applying H1b restamping via dropbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got 221g after applying H1b restamping via dropbox

I have a valid H1B visa, which I got stamped in January 2015 and it is supposed to expire on July 2017. Around June 2016, I had switched to a new company as full time employee and they had my H1B transfer filed under premium processing. I got the necessary I-797A Notice of Approval well within 15 days and the expiration date was changed June 2019.

Since, I had planned a vacation to India around 7 Jan 2017, I thought it would be better to get my passport restamped with new employer name and new visa expiry date to avoid trouble with immigration; in the meanwhile I also found out that I am eligible for dropbox. So, on 9th Jan 2017 , I submitted my passport with I-797 approvals from both my current and previous employers. The person at the document collection centre told me that the passport would be ready for pickup in 3-5 days.

As the promised, timeframe passed, I found out via CEAC website that the passport is still with the US embassy under Administrative Processing since 10th Jan 2017. After further follow up with US travel docs support team, I came to know that the application is pending under 221g and the embassy will contact me if any documents are needed.

So far, I haven't got any notification from the embassy about what information is needed from my side. I had kept my employer is loop about it as this situation has led me to cancel the return flight.

Has anyone faced a similar situation like this in past ? How much time would it take for the embassy to ask for documents? Please help!!

Wonder why they kept your passport and issues 221g, it blocks you from traveling. Due to gov changes/exec orders, many ppl getting 221g I believe. Hope you get your stamped visa back. Keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by mkk83 View Post
      Wonder why they kept your passport and issues 221g, it blocks you from traveling. Due to gov changes/exec orders, many ppl getting 221g I believe. Hope you get your stamped visa back. Keep us posted!
      Don't know whats going on!! Please let me know if any of your friends has the same situation resulting through a dropbox program

Comment

221G suggests background check, I think they are doing away with the Dropbox.

Obviously varies but the ones I have seen usually take a few weeks. Which country can make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayfield View Post

Obviously varies but the ones I have seen usually take a few weeks. Which country can make a difference.
          Do you know if DROPBOX is taken out? After Trump exec order of IWP

Comment

admin processing

I am also waiting from two weeks no documents asked showing administrative processing

Comment

Originally posted by Bayfield View Post

Even if for some reason , they had to do away with Dropbox, there should be some way of notifying a candidate that he/she has to take an interview date because of policy changes. Atleast, that keeps the process transparent.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by kveda View Post
              I am also waiting from two weeks no documents asked showing administrative processing
              Did u also submit your docs via Dropbox?

Comment

Originally posted by vg1989 View Post
                I have a valid H1B visa, which I got stamped in January 2015 and it is supposed to expire on July 2017. Around June 2016, I had switched to a new company as full time employee and they had my H1B transfer filed under premium processing. I got the necessary I-797A Notice of Approval well within 15 days and the expiration date was changed June 2019.

Since, I had planned a vacation to India around 7 Jan 2017, I thought it would be better to get my passport restamped with new employer name and new visa expiry date to avoid trouble with immigration; in the meanwhile I also found out that I am eligible for dropbox. So, on 9th Jan 2017 , I submitted my passport with I-797 approvals from both my current and previous employers. The person at the document collection centre told me that the passport would be ready for pickup in 3-5 days.

As the promised, timeframe passed, I found out via CEAC website that the passport is still with the US embassy under Administrative Processing since 10th Jan 2017. After further follow up with US travel docs support team, I came to know that the application is pending under 221g and the embassy will contact me if any documents are needed.

So far, I haven't got any notification from the embassy about what information is needed from my side. I had kept my employer is loop about it as this situation has led me to cancel the return flight.

Has anyone faced a similar situation like this in past ? How much time would it take for the embassy to ask for documents? Please help!!
                As per the details you provided your current employer is different than what is in the visa? in that case you should not be eligible for drop box and i wonder how did it allowed you to do that

Comment

H1-B visa got successfully restamped after 221g.

SO today, I picked my passport from the Mumbai VAC and it had the new employer details with expiration date all stamped. It took around 3 weeks to get through 221g.

Comment

SO today, I picked my passport from the Mumbai VAC and it had the new employer details with expiration date all stamped. It took around 3 weeks to get through 221g.
                    Did they ask you for any documents in those 3 weeks or any action that was needed from you.

Comment

how did the embassy contact you?

hey, congrats!

how did the embassy contact you for 221G? could you please detail out the timelines and the documents requested etc.

really appreciate your input.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X