Working for a foreign company while on non imigrant visa in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working for a foreign company while on non imigrant visa in US

I'm currently in US on non-immigrant visa. A company from my home country, where I worked before US, offered me to work for them.
    They suggest some options :
    1. To work like I was living in my home country and keep getting my payment to my local bank account.
    2. They will hire a US company that will provide them the work (that I would do) and I will solve the problems facing them.
    3. To open an company/anonymous abroad or maybe in US and they will hire that company

Questions:
    1. Does is legal, if not can it be some how legal? any tips?
    2. Can the US know about that?
    3. Does IRS can get that information, or I could have any problems ?

Please suggest me how to solve that issue and the best solutions to that.

Originally posted by Orthenyr View Post
    I'm currently in US on non-immigrant visa. A company from my home country, where I worked before US, offered me to work for them.
    They suggest some options :
    1. To work like I was living in my home country and keep getting my payment to my local bank account.
    2. They will hire a US company that will provide them the work (that I would do) and I will solve the problems facing them.
    3. To open an company/anonymous abroad or maybe in US and they will hire that company

Questions:
    1. Does is legal, if not can it be some how legal? any tips?
    2. Can the US know about that?
    3. Does IRS can get that information, or I could have any problems ?

Please suggest me how to solve that issue and the best solutions to that.
    On what visa re you currently in US?

Comment

No, this is not legal on B visa

Comment

I'm on non immigration...

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
        On what visa re you currently in US?

Is it meter if its H,B,J,F ? its non immigration visa.

Comment

It isn't a problem if the alien is on a H visa sponsored by his employer.

However, this type of question wouldn't arise if that was the case

Comment

You right!

It about working not for that current company, its a part job for other company.

Comment

It seems that you are looking for an answer that will meet your expectations of a way to earn money while using a visa that doesn't allow you to legally work. Though you have said you are here on a nonimmigrant visa, you have't told us the visa type. Is it a B1 or B2 visa, a "C" visa, etc.?

The answer to your question seems pretty clear if your visa type is one that doesn't allow you to work. If you intend to work at home despite the limitations of your visa, your activity will probably not come to the attention of USCIS, DHS or ICE enforcement people, but why don't you concentrate on finding a way to be in compliance with the rules?

--Ray B

It about working not for that current company, its a part job for other company.

Comment

Thats exatlly what I'm looking for , a legal way

Originally posted by rayb View Post
                It seems that you are looking for an answer that will meet your expectations of a way to earn money while using a visa that doesn't allow you to legally work. Though you have said you are here on a nonimmigrant visa, you have't told us the visa type. Is it a B1 or B2 visa, a "C" visa, etc.?

The answer to your question seems pretty clear if your visa type is one that doesn't allow you to work. If you intend to work at home despite the limitations of your visa, your activity will probably not come to the attention of USCIS, DHS or ICE enforcement people, but why don't you concentrate on finding a way to be in compliance with the rules?

--Ray B

Thank you for you answer Ray B !
                That is exactly why I'm asking that question. I'm looking for " a way to be in compliance with the rules" as you described it. Sometimes there 'hols' in the law that can be used for our benefit, people do that with tax-planing. I'm not talking about the illegal way, maybe someone had an expiration with that kind of issue.

Comment

What is your visa class? There are many nonimmigrant types, besides B2, that have provisions for allowable employment.

--Ray B

Thank you for you answer Ray B !
                  That is exactly why I'm asking that question. I'm looking for " a way to be in compliance with the rules" as you described it. Sometimes there 'hols' in the law that can be used for our benefit, people do that with tax-planing. I'm not talking about the illegal way, maybe someone had an expiration with that kind of issue.

Comment

Its a J visa!

What is your visa class? There are many nonimmigrant types, besides B2, that have provisions for allowable employment.

--Ray B
                    J visa - non immigration visa.

Comment

A J visa can allow employment, depending on how it was set up. Is it a J1 or J2 class?

--Ray B

J visa - non immigration visa.

Comment

It is J1

A J visa can allow employment, depending on how it was set up. Is it a J1 or J2 class?

--Ray B

The visa already attached to employer , I'm asking about additional work for second company, I cant work wherever I want on J1 visa.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X