H1B extension cutshort previously approved date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B extension cutshort previously approved date

I had a H1B approved earlier till Aug 10th 2017 and the I-94 for me and my wife is expiring on the same day.

I changed my job in Mar 2016. My new employer filed H1B transfer along with extension on Mar 25th 2016 under regular processing, on Dec 12th 2016 USCIS request additional document (client letter). My employer provided the letter on Feb 16th 2017. On Mar 28th 2017 I applied for the premium processing and also added my wife H4 extension and H4 EAD (as I got my I-140 approval on Mar 14th 2017). On Apr 7th 2017 USCIS approved the petition for H1B transfer, the H4 extension and EAD is still in progress.

Now my employer told me that the the approval is only till July 31st 2017 and also that my wife H4 extn and EAD will be approved for the same time as well i.e. July 31st 2017.

Questions:
    1) Is it normal for USCIS to cutshort the previously approved visa date. Under what circumstances does USCIS cutshort the visa approved time?

2) My employer is planning to file the H1B extension again, what are the chances that the extension will be approved this time, will the earlier cutshort going to impact the decision?

3) If I change the job to a different employer and file a new H1B transfer and extension, will I be in status after July 31st 2017 if I get the receipt number before then?

4) What is the normal time for the H1B extension in regular processing (as premium processing is suspended till Sep)?

5) My passport is expiring on Aug 20th 2017, can I file using my existing passport or do I need to renew my passport before filling H1B extension?

Originally posted by sulabhsinghal View Post
    I had a H1B approved earlier till Aug 10th 2017 and the I-94 for me and my wife is expiring on the same day.

I changed my job in Mar 2016. My new employer filed H1B transfer along with extension on Mar 25th 2016 under regular processing, on Dec 12th 2016 USCIS request additional document (client letter). My employer provided the letter on Feb 16th 2017. On Mar 28th 2017 I applied for the premium processing and also added my wife H4 extension and H4 EAD (as I got my I-140 approval on Mar 14th 2017). On Apr 7th 2017 USCIS approved the petition for H1B transfer, the H4 extension and EAD is still in progress.

Now my employer told me that the the approval is only till July 31st 2017 and also that my wife H4 extn and EAD will be approved for the same time as well i.e. July 31st 2017.

Questions:
    1) Is it normal for USCIS to cutshort the previously approved visa date. Under what circumstances does USCIS cutshort the visa approved time?

2) My employer is planning to file the H1B extension again, what are the chances that the extension will be approved this time, will the earlier cutshort going to impact the decision?

3) If I change the job to a different employer and file a new H1B transfer and extension, will I be in status after July 31st 2017 if I get the receipt number before then?

4) What is the normal time for the H1B extension in regular processing (as premium processing is suspended till Sep)?

5) My passport is expiring on Aug 20th 2017, can I file using my existing passport or do I need to renew my passport before filling H1B extension?
    1. Yes, if the I129 request is only till a particular date, as well as the supporting documents(client letter, SOW etc) have an early end date.
    2. It depends upon the documents submitted.
    3.Yes.
    4. A trend has still to develop, but 3-6 months seems to be a fee fair estimate.
    5. I would advise so. An Indian passport can be renewed upto 1 year ahead of the expiry.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X