X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I797 expiring before i-94

Hi,

I am in a situation where my

- Current petition (I-797A) is expiring on June 1 2017. Same goes for the form I-94 attached to the petition.
    - Actual visa is expiring on August 20, 2017.
    - The last port of entry I-94 is expiring on August 29, 2017.

I have filed for H1B extension.

But what will be my last legal day of stay in the US? Which i-94 will take precedence? The current petition was a H1B amendment done in June 2016. The last time I entered the country and got my I-94 was in September 2015.

Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by Barun View Post
    Hi,

- Current petition (I-797A) is expiring on June 1 2017. Same goes for the form I-94 attached to the petition.

But what will be my last legal day of stay in the US? Which i-94 will take precedence? The current petition was a H1B amendment done in June 2016. The last time I entered the country and got my I-94 was in September 2015.

Thanks a lot.
    As you have applied for extension before current I797 expiry, you are good to work till 240 days from 29-Aug-2017.If no decision is taken by then, you should stop working.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Barun View Post
      Hi,

Thanks a lot.
      Are you saying the new petition with the attached I-94 was after you last entered? There is only one valid I-94 at a time; when you get a new I-94, that supersedes any previous ones. When you got a new I-94 from the new petition, your previous I-94 that you got from entry is no longer valid and is irrelevant. Your only I-94 now expires June 1 2017. You can continue to work 240 days beyond that while an H1b extension of status is pending.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X