H1B for a JD degree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B for a JD degree

I have a question about the H1b and couldn't find any related discussions on my issues. If I completed a JD this year and obtained my attorneys license, would it be possible for my relative's company which is not a law firm to hire me? And would I only be eligible for a lawyer title? And which level would the prevailing wage be for me if I were to be retained as a lawyer by my relatives company?

Appreciate any opinions/advise on this. Thank you.

You have three issues: Is the job a H-1B specialty or professional occupation? What title can you use at work? Can your relatives business employ you?

The first two questions are pretty straightforward. You have a job and you are a member of your state Bar (or you would be, if you had employment authorization, because you have passed the bar exam), so you would meet both the occupation & education H1-B requirements to work as either an attorney-at-law or as corporate counsel. The title you can use is probably regulated by your state Bar association, and a layperson term like "lawyer" probably won't pass muster.

As for the third question, USCIS is extremely skeptical of employment arrangements involving relatives. In particular, they will likely find that a bona fide employee-employer relationship does not exist. Obviously, family employees aren't held to the same standard as unrelated employees. USCIS recognizes that, and does not extend immigration benefits to those relationships

Comment

Working...
    X