Renew DL during H4 extension processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renew DL during H4 extension processing

My husband works on a H1B visa, and it has validity till Sept 2020. I am on H4 and my visa expired on 25 Sept and so did my Texas DL. I have filed for H4 extension in August and its not been processed yet (Vermont Processing Center states that they are processing H4 extension applications from Feb 2017 right now).

I went to DPS office in Austin and was told they'll send for manual verification through the SAVE program. I received the letter earlier this week that said legal residence is confirmed. However, when I took the letter to the DPS office the very next day they said their system is not showing any extension for my DL, and because it was applied on Sept 22, it verified validity till Sept 25.

Queries:
    Will it make a difference to go to another DPS/DMV office? Is there anything I can do. The centre processing H4 applications is still working on applications from Feb 2017 so it will be months until my application is processed. My husband has already received his H1B application in case it helps.
    Will it make a difference to go again since the DL has expired now?

Originally posted by AnaTX View Post
    My husband works on a H1B visa, and it has validity till Sept 2020. I am on H4 and my visa expired on 25 Sept and so did my Texas DL. I have filed for H4 extension in August and its not been processed yet (Vermont Processing Center states that they are processing H4 extension applications from Feb 2017 right now).

I went to DPS office in Austin and was told they'll send for manual verification through the SAVE program. I received the letter earlier this week that said legal residence is confirmed. However, when I took the letter to the DPS office the very next day they said their system is not showing any extension for my DL, and because it was applied on Sept 22, it verified validity till Sept 25.

Queries:
    Will it make a difference to go to another DPS/DMV office? Is there anything I can do. The centre processing H4 applications is still working on applications from Feb 2017 so it will be months until my application is processed. My husband has already received his H1B application in case it helps.
    Will it make a difference to go again since the DL has expired now?
    I had similar situaton though in Florida, my H1 was extended and my spouse's H4 was underprocess. FL rule states that people whose application is underprocess will be granted DL for one year. However the DL processing office was not familiar (didnt know) this information so didnt extend. i would suggest to wait it out.

Comment

Originally posted by stifler View Post
      I had similar situaton though in Florida, my H1 was extended and my spouse's H4 was underprocess. FL rule states that people whose application is underprocess will be granted DL for one year. However the DL processing office was not familiar (didnt know) this information so didnt extend. i would suggest to wait it out.
      So did your spouse get the DL only after H4 was approved? How long was the wait?

Comment

Success Story - Extension of DL while H4 is being processed

Originally posted by AnaTX View Post
        Update on how I got extension of 1 year
        Getting extension for Driver's license during H4 extension - Success story
        My H4 visa and DL expired on 25th Sept 2017. Husband had already received his H1B extension but mine is still in process. This is how I received an extension of 1 year on my DL:
        Step 1: I went to DPS office in Austin to request an extension on 23 Sept 2017 and they sent a request for a manual verification to USCIS office on the basis of my DL. I received a reply from USCIS next week saying that my legal residence in the country is proved and I should go to DPS office for next steps. The DPS office said I only received an extension of 3 days and that there is nothing more they can do.
        Step 2: I went to the mega centre at Pfugerville next and was told by the manager that they don't control the outcome and its going to be the same information they are going to request again. He discouraged me, also I wasn't carrying a valid photo id (passport) so came back.
        Step 3: I went to Pfugerville again with the passport and this time the guy at the counter raised a second verification request based on the passport since the DL had expired already. I received a letter in the mail saying legal status is proved and to go to DPS office for next steps.
        Step 4: Since by now I knew that the DPS office plays no role in giving the extension I chose to go to Georgetown which is the smallest and closest centre for me. The people there were clueless and couldn't tell if I have been granted an extension unless they printed out the DL, for which I had to pay the service fee. We took a chance and made the payment. The print receipt showed the extension of 1 year. The lady at the counter did say in case USCIS doesn't grant the extension they may be able to give me a 1 month temporary driving permit (something the big centres never mentioned).

Things to note: If you are requesting an extension please go to DPS office "after" your DL has expired and ask them to raise a request on the basis of your passport. My H4 visa has gone to Vermont Centre and will most likely take months to get processed. I did have the received receipt but the DPS does not grant extension to H4 holders on the basis of receipt.
        I had also requested USCIS to expedite processing of my H4 extension on humanitarian grounds but it was rejected.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X