Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue With Driver's License Renewal - F1 TO H1

Hi,

Recently my H1B got approved and have a valid I797. Also my driver's license got expired and when visited to the DMV office, I was informed that my status is currently showing in "Student Program" i.e. F1 and it hasn't been updated to H1. They initially asked me to contact my university DSO and after contacting them I found out that my college records (sevis) has been updated from F1 to H1.

After second attempt visiting the DMV, they informed that my SAVE records wasn't updated. I check my SAVE case and even contacted the customer service. They said that my records are good and I am not under active student status but on H1.

Now after third attempt, the DMV came up with a different issue, that I need to contact USCIS regarding this. I have even contacted USCIS and they said that I need to visit the local field office and see that they are no appointments available (seeing the same message for almost 7-8days)

Please help me out on who should be contacted or if anyone faced this situation earlier and got resovled. It's been very difficult to go around with an expired driver's license.

Thanks.

Need help

I am on the same boat. Can you please tell me how you resolve that?

Originally posted by Bharath4567 View Post
    Hi,

Recently my H1B got approved and have a valid I797. Also my driver's license got expired and when visited to the DMV office, I was informed that my status is currently showing in "Student Program" i.e. F1 and it hasn't been updated to H1. They initially asked me to contact my university DSO and after contacting them I found out that my college records (sevis) has been updated from F1 to H1.

After second attempt visiting the DMV, they informed that my SAVE records wasn't updated. I check my SAVE case and even contacted the customer service. They said that my records are good and I am not under active student status but on H1.

Now after third attempt, the DMV came up with a different issue, that I need to contact USCIS regarding this. I have even contacted USCIS and they said that I need to visit the local field office and see that they are no appointments available (seeing the same message for almost 7-8days)

Please help me out on who should be contacted or if anyone faced this situation earlier and got resovled. It's been very difficult to go around with an expired driver's license.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks.
      Hello,
      You may want to try another DMV in a different location. If you are in a big city area, a different one, in a rural location maybe 15 to 30 miles away ; try them and say the records have been updated per above and keep at it, they should budge and give you the license. I'm shocked the DMV is giving such a hard time on license renewal....think of so many spanish people in the country 10% ~ 20% are undocumented and they are driving around with licenses. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Comment

Issue With Driver's License Renewal - F1 TO H1

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        I am on the same boat. Can you please tell me how you resolve that?
        Speak with the DMV Manager directly (NOT the employee at the counter as they will not help). They will scan your I-797 and send a request to USCIS. Once USCIS confirms, you might get a call from DMV to come and pick your DL.

Comment

Hello!!

I?m stuck in this same senario. Please can someone tell me which DMV you went to if it was in NJ state.
          Also, talking to the DMV manager did the work for you???

Please I would appreciate any help!!!!!

Hi,

Thanks.

Comment

Hello!!! Please help guys. This is so confusing. Would talking to the dmv manager would do the job!? I?m in NJ state and I would like to know any specific county or any center where I can go!??

Speak with the DMV Manager directly (NOT the employee at the counter as they will not help). They will scan your I-797 and send a request to USCIS. Once USCIS confirms, you might get a call from DMV to come and pick your DL.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalrak View Post
              Hello!!! Please help guys. This is so confusing. Would talking to the dmv manager would do the job!? I?m in NJ state and I would like to know any specific county or any center where I can go!??
              You can go to Jersey City, Rahway or Edison DMVs. They also understand this situation. But I would suggest Jersey City one. Talk to the manager.

Comment

I did this weekend! But the manager said she is not able to do anything as well. She said your status is F1 and she can?t help me. I should ask my lawyer to inform the immigration about my visa change.
                But my immigration only sent my lawyer the approval notice right, how can he inform the immigration of the change.

Still no help. USCIS customer care mentioned to talk to the immigration field officer for help. I?m not sure if that would resolve the matter.

Originally posted by RahulS9865 View Post
                You can go to Jersey City, Rahway or Edison DMVs. They also understand this situation. But I would suggest Jersey City one. Talk to the manager.

Comment

same issue F1 to H1 couldn't get License

Originally posted by Kalrak View Post
                  I did this weekend! But the manager said she is not able to do anything as well. She said your status is F1 and she can?t help me. I should ask my lawyer to inform the immigration about my visa change.
                  But my immigration only sent my lawyer the approval notice right, how can he inform the immigration of the change.

Still no help. USCIS customer care mentioned to talk to the immigration field officer for help. I?m not sure if that would resolve the matter.
                  Hi,
                  Did you get the issue resolved? if so can you please tell mw what you did?

Comment

HI I am also facing same issue at DMV, can someone help me out on this.

Comment

About Issue With Driver's License Renewal - F1 TO H1

I am facing the same issue, my H1 got approved recently and I have submitted to Texas DMV in Dallas for license renewal, First they couldn’t verify and then submitted to SAVE. Now They say SAVE couldn’t verify electronically and sent the Physical copies. My license is already expired and it’s been 1.5 months that I am going around DMV.
                      Can anyone guide how to resolve this issue

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X