Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Born Kid planning for Indian Passport - I'm in H1 and my wife in H4

Hello -
    I need some help with the below doubts/questions I've.

We are expecting our first baby in near future and we have decided to apply for Indian Passport instead of US passport which will give us Indian Citizenship. I read in Indian Embassy website if the child birth is registered at any Indian Consulate within 1 year of birth then the child can have Indian passport (provided child should not have US passport). We opted for Indian passport since we won't be staying in US for long time. Please help with any answers you have with the below questions.

1. After getting Indian Passport for a Kid, how can the kid travel with us to India? Since we got indian passport, the Kid won't have OCI or PIO card. Is it ok to travel only with Indian Passport?
    2. My H1 visa expires in near future and I'll be getting an extension in the near future and will be travelling to India, so when we go for an Visa interview in India, will there be any problems for my Kid? since My kid born in US, with US birth Certificate and Indian passport, will there be any issues in getting the H4 dependent visa for my Kid? I read in some forums like, Officer will not give visa and will ask us to apply for US passport since we have US birth ceritificate.

Please share any thoughts on the questions, Thanks.

Originally posted by haridotm View Post
    1. After getting Indian Passport for a Kid, how can the kid travel with us to India? Since we got indian passport, the Kid won't have OCI or PIO card. Is it ok to travel only with Indian Passport?
    Yes, it is okay to travel with only Indian passport.

Originally posted by haridotm View Post
    2. My H1 visa expires in near future and I'll be getting an extension in the near future and will be travelling to India, so when we go for an Visa interview in India, will there be any problems for my Kid? since My kid born in US, with US birth Certificate and Indian passport, will there be any issues in getting the H4 dependent visa for my Kid? I read in some forums like, Officer will not give visa and will ask us to apply for US passport since we have US birth ceritificate.
    The child is a US citizen, and as such, can never get a US visa. If the child leaves the US, he/she will have great trouble returning to the US without getting a US passport, because there is no other document he/she can get that will allow the airline to board him/her to the US. One option would be to first go to Canada or Mexico (getting the appropriate visa), and then enter the US by land with just the birth certificate. So the getting Indian passport option is only really feasible if the child will not plan to return to the US for a long time after leaving the US.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X