Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health insurance gap on h1b transfer

Hello Everyone,

My H1B transfer is initiated by employer B.

My last day with current employer is August 10, the same day my health insurance terminates. Although, I will join employer B on Aug 13th my health insurance won't kick in until after 2 weeks (Aug 27th).

Question:
    If I go without insurance for those two weeks, do I still pay penalty while filing my IRS Tax returns?

Thank you!

Originally posted by hopeismymiddlename View Post
    Hello Everyone,

My last day with current employer is August 10, the same day my health insurance terminates. Although, I will join employer B on Aug 13th my health insurance won't kick in until after 2 weeks (Aug 27th).

Question:
    If I go without insurance for those two weeks, do I still pay penalty while filing my IRS Tax returns?

Thank you!
    Lol, no. That is a very common scenario. Just make sure that you don't get into any medical situation on those 2 days.
    This is just my opinion, not a legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by hopeismymiddlename View Post
      Hello Everyone,

Question:

Thank you!
      For the purposes of the penalty, when you have insurance for any part of the month, you are considered to have insurance for the whole month. So you have no gap. (And even if you were to have a gap that included a whole month, a short coverage gap of less than 3 months is exempt from the penalty once a year.)

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X