Greencard question for H1B Visa holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greencard question for H1B Visa holder

Hello, I'm a US citizen but have been living with my foreign girlfriend for about 7 years. She has been on H1 Visas, and her employer has started the process for getting a green card, however that process was started a couple years ago and her employer has a strange policy where they don't allow her to get the green card unless her salary is over x amount. She already makes far more than the average US salary, has a masters degree, etc, and oddly, they won't tell her what the amount is that she would need. I suspect they are just trying to keep her in limbo having to work with a visa for a while, while getting her hopes up for the green card, so that she can't leave the company, etc.

There are various reasons why we never got married but we are a real couple. Have a joint bank account, own a house in both of our names, sleep in same place and do everything that a married couple would do however we never made it official. Now, if I knew all the trouble she would have in this process, I would have done things differently, but now I'm not sure what the best route is, whether we should wait and hope her company finally allows it to go through, or if we should consider marriage, but I read that would start another 3 year long process.

Just thought I would post here to see if there is any advice I could find. Thanks

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X