Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Immihelp...Veena Swsh.....H4 visa query?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immihelp...Veena Swsh.....H4 visa query?

Hi

1) Is it possible to book a H4 visa appointment date through VFS prior to the wedding since the present available dates are in November and if my wedding take place in August, then the available dates would be even further?

2) On the required documents list on this site for a H4 visa it mentions that one of the documents required is a I-797 notice of action. Is this form required prior to booking a visa appointment date with VFS?

3) Would one be able to apply for this I-797 even before the wedding taking place?

Please help me with your advice on this. Thank you.

Hi,

1) It's not possible to take appointment with US Consulate before wedding, if u do chance of getting visa is less..

2) You need to have I 797 notice of action as a mandatory doc to complite the visa appointment..

3) You cant get form I 797 before marriage..

Better try once every document is with you...

Srinni...
    Srinni

Comment

Hi Veena,

1. I am not sure if there is any hard and fast rule that you cannot book a webappointment prior to the wedding, because I have done it in the same way and there has been no problem in the stamping of my H4. Well, as a matter of fact, I have a lot of friends who actually booked their appointment prior to the wedding.

2. No, you do not need any documents prior to booking an appointment. But yes, you definetly need the documents at the time of the appointment.

3. There is nothing like applying for an I-797. As far as I know I-797 is a document that is a proof of your fiance/husband's employment or rather H1, so he should be having the document.

I cannot give you an exhaustive list of all the mandatory documents, but will try to give as much as I rem'ber

1. your spouse's H1 documents
      2. your spouse's passport and I-94
      3. your spouse's bank (financial) statements, Pay stubs, tax returns.
      4. A letter from your spouse's employer stating that he/she is an employee of their organistaion and requesting the officer at the US counsulate to issue you an H4.
      5. your passport
      6. marraige certificate (original, they sometime specifically ask for the original)
      7. marraige snaps
      8. if you are working, take a proof of the same, it helps a lot. That more or less convinces the officer at the counsulate that you do not plan to settle in US, but only visit.

Well, as far as I can rem'ber this is the list, do check on other sites too for an exhaustive list.
      Hope this helps !

Amulya.

Comment

Hi srinii and amulya,

Thank you very much for your input.
        I'm seeming to have conflicting views now with both of your responses. I thought that maybe I was not clear enough with my questions and hence this addendum to that.

1) Regarding my 1st question I was asking if it was possible to take a visa appointment through VFS prior to my wedding taking place as I wanted to save on the lime lag in the availability of visa appointment dates. But I would definitely choose an appointment date to visit the consulate after the wedding as that way I would have my wedding documents too as evidence. So is it possible to just book an appointment date now itself? My wedding is in August and the first available dates right now are in November.

2) In the required documents list mentioned on this immihelp site it mentions the requirement of a separate I-797 which should have been filed for the spouse in addition to the principal applicant. So basically they say that we need a I-797 one for the spouse and a copy of the one of the principal applicant. I haven't seen this anywhere else except here on this site and so I am confused about this. Is this document necessary too when going for the visa interview? And is this document necessary prior to booking an appointment date as it is usually for booking an appointment for a H1 visa?

3) If this document for the spouse is also required, then is it possible to apply for that prior to the wedding so that my fiance could bring it down here when he visits India for the wedding or if not does it need to be applied for only after the wedding?

Please help me with your views and advices on this. Thank you very much.

New.

Comment

Hi Veena,

1. Yes, you can book an appointment in VFS prior to the wedding. You can be rest asured about this issue because I myself have booked my appointment prior to my wedding . And not only me, a lot of my friends have also done in a similar way.

2. I have just gone through the list thats given on this site. The list is right, you might have interpreted it incorrectly. By "Copy of Notice of Action (Form I-797)" they mean a copy of the principal applicant's I-797 and NOT a separate I-797 for you. I-797 is a form of H1 approval for your spouse and if you are going as a dependant why would you need that ? So, you dont to worry about applying for an I-797.

3. I think I have answered this in the second question.

Any more queries, feel free to ask.

Amulya.

Comment

1) Regarding my 1st question I was asking if it was possible to take a visa appointment through VFS prior to my wedding taking place as I wanted to save on the lime lag in the availability of visa appointment dates. But I would definitely choose an appointment date to visit the consulate after the wedding as that way I would have my wedding documents too as evidence. So is it possible to just book an appointment date now itself? My wedding is in August and the first available dates right now are in November.

YOU CAN TAKE A DATE AFTER THE WEDDING NOW. THE ONLY CRITERIA IS THAT YOU SHOULD BE MARRIED BEFORE YOU GO TO THE CONSULATE FOR THE H4 STAMPING. MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE IS A MANDATORY DOCUMENT.

2) In the required documents list mentioned on this immihelp site it mentions the requirement of a separate I-797 which should have been filed for the spouse in addition to the principal applicant. So basically they say that we need a I-797 one for the spouse and a copy of the one of the principal applicant. I haven't seen this anywhere else except here on this site and so I am confused about this. Is this document necessary too when going for the visa interview? And is this document necessary prior to booking an appointment date as it is usually for booking an appointment for a H1 visa?
            NOT UNLESS THE SPOUSE HAS A CHANGE OF STATUS OR AN EXTENSION. THE H4 IS ISSUED VISA BASED ON THE H1B VISA STATUS.

3) If this document for the spouse is also required, then is it possible to apply for that prior to the wedding so that my fiance could bring it down here when he visits India for the wedding or if not does it need to be applied for only after the wedding?
            AS ABOVE
            VEENA
            (NOT LEGAL ADVICE)

Comment

Thank you very much AmulyaVenkat and Veena_Swsh. You input cleared my doubts.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X