221g for H1B visa on Nov 29, 2018 at Ottawa, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by usaworker View Post
    I was for my interview in Toronto (beginning of December). Got 221g (yellow) with further admin processing.
    Questions in the consulate:
    • What is your highest educational degree? Your Master's degree is in what area?
    • Did you have any publications?
    • Did you have any research in university?
    • What was your thesis topic?
    • Will you work for your current company in US or another one?
    • Show me your resume.
    • Show me your I-797B original form.
    • Do you have US academic equivalency evaluation for your diploma with you?
    • Were you previously in US? On what status? When?
    • What is your position in the current company and future company in US?

I'm still waiting for the decision. If I get visa approval and go on this visa to work in US, what can the impact be of such refusal for me in future during work visa transfer or visa extension or when applying for permanent residency?
    I am on the same boat with you. My interview was in Toronto on 12/03/2018 and most questions were related to education/research/work projects

VO issued me yellow 221g to ask me to email them my resume and details of work.

The VO said her intention is to approve the visa but they need further processing. She returned my passport and didn't keep anything from me.

I asked her how long would it take, she replied that after documents submitted it would take like one month.

I submitted documents on the day of interview and they sent me an email to acknowledge the receipt of documents on 12/06/2018.

Now I haven't heard back from them.

Would you please share with us if you have some updates?
    Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by usaworker View Post
      I was for my interview in Toronto (beginning of December). Got 221g (yellow) with further admin processing.
      Questions in the consulate:
      • What is your highest educational degree? Your Master's degree is in what area?
      • Did you have any publications?
      • Did you have any research in university?
      • What was your thesis topic?
      • Will you work for your current company in US or another one?
      • Show me your resume.
      • Show me your I-797B original form.
      • Do you have US academic equivalency evaluation for your diploma with you?
      • Were you previously in US? On what status? When?
      • What is your position in the current company and future company in US?

I'm still waiting for the decision. If I get visa approval and go on this visa to work in US, what can the impact be of such refusal for me in future during work visa transfer or visa extension or when applying for permanent residency?
      Hi I was in the same boat. My interview was in Toronto, 12/03, vo issued me yellow 221g and asked me to email my resume and details of my work(including all previous employers).
      My VO said her intention is to approve the visa but need further admin processing.
      I asked how long it would take, she said after submission, it would take about one month.
      VO returned my passport and kept nothing from me.

Then I sent the documents via email and they replied on 12/06 for acknowledgement.

I am still waiting for their email as they said they will send e-mail with instructions for next steps.

What documents you are asked to submit? Would you please share your updates?

Thank you very much.

Comment

struggling to find Toronto H1/H4 dates

I don't see any dates in Toronto until May 2019. does that mean they are booked for next 6 months or will they open for Jan/Feb anytime soon ? do you have anything to share as to how would i get the dates quicker(atleast in Feb) Please..

Originally posted by chrisgot221g View Post
        Hi I was in the same boat. My interview was in Toronto, 12/03, vo issued me yellow 221g and asked me to email my resume and details of my work(including all previous employers).
        My VO said her intention is to approve the visa but need further admin processing.
        I asked how long it would take, she said after submission, it would take about one month.
        VO returned my passport and kept nothing from me.

Then I sent the documents via email and they replied on 12/06 for acknowledgement.

I am still waiting for their email as they said they will send e-mail with instructions for next steps.

What documents you are asked to submit? Would you please share your updates?

Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by ShMW View Post
          Thanks Anmol,

Yours should be well on track. You should get it soon. With the Government shutdown in place, I am not sure how long I'd need to stay here.
          Hello Anmol and ShMW,

I am in the same boat. I had 1st H1B stamping interview at Ottawa on Nov 28th. Not a lot of questions asked beside spending quite some time on my resume and US MS transcript. I was given blue 221g with request to submit latest resume. So I sent on the same day. CEAC says administrative processing since the date of the interview. It's been almost a month. Nothing has changed. However , today I got three emails from ([email protected]). One of them provides Courier In Instruction document, the other one was saying "A U.S. Department of State Consulate officer located in Ottawa has indicated that follow-up actions are required for the following applicant(s). - Please mail your passport back to us". It caught me off guard since I was only expecting emails from Admin Processing, Ottawa. Do any of you have any update so far ? What will happen after sending the passport ? Stay positive !

Regards

ffl3883

Comment

Originally posted by ffl3883 View Post
            Hello Anmol and ShMW,

I am in the same boat. I had 1st H1B stamping interview at Ottawa on Nov 28th. Not a lot of questions asked beside spending quite some time on my resume and US MS transcript. I was given blue 221g with request to submit latest resume. So I sent on the same day. CEAC says administrative processing since the date of the interview. It's been almost a month. Nothing has changed. However , today I got three emails from ([email protected]). One of them provides Courier In Instruction document, the other one was saying "A U.S. Department of State Consulate officer located in Ottawa has indicated that follow-up actions are required for the following applicant(s). - Please mail your passport back to us". It caught me off guard since I was only expecting emails from Admin Processing, Ottawa. Do any of you have any update so far ? What will happen after sending the passport ? Stay positive !

Regards

ffl3883
            Hi ffl3883,

Once you mail in your passport, things move very fast. Hopefully you will have your passport by mid next week. My passport is ready for pick up. I will post a final timeline of events once I pick up the passport on Monday.

Anmol

Comment

Originally posted by anmolwrites View Post
              Hi ffl3883,

Once you mail in your passport, things move very fast. Hopefully you will have your passport by mid next week. My passport is ready for pick up. I will post a final timeline of events once I pick up the passport on Monday.

Anmol
              Hi All,

I got my passport in the morning today and drove back to my home. The final summary of timeline is below

November 20 - Interview when I was told that I had expired 6 years on H1B. I had only exhausted 4.5 years. I had an approved petition of validity till June 2020.
              November 22 - Response from my attorney was emailed to the consular officer, showing summary of my stay and justifying the validity date of the underlying petition with supporting evidence.
              December 6 - NIV call center told that a document was uploaded in the system and was with consular officer for review
              December 14 - Went to embassy to see whether we could get FaceTime with the consular officer to explain the issue of 4.5 years vs. 6 years that she thought. I was told that my file was sent to Washington for review.
              December 18 - We engaged a new immigration attorney who tried to open communication with the consulate
              December 20 - Got an email to submit the passport as did ffl3883. Mailed in the passport same day.
              December 24 - The passport was delivered at the embassy. The embassy was closed from Dec 24 through Dec 26.
              December 27 - The CEAC status was still Admin processing, but last update date changed from November 20 to December 27
              December 28 - CEAC showed Issued. Received emails about tracking number. Received an email at 5:07 PM that the passport was ready for pick up.

This period was tough for me and my family. My patients were stranded. The hourly staff in our clinic was met with tremendous uncertainty. During my 11 years in the US, I had never faced any issue with US visa before this experience. I hope the State Department improves their process and provide more tools and support to consular officers to assess applicant's visa history. I still don't know why the consular officer was confused during the interview.
              Last edited by anmolwrites; 12-31-2018, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Hi All,

I got my passport in the morning today and drove back to my home. The final summary of timeline is below

November 20 - Interview when I was told that I had expired 6 years on H1B. I had only exhausted 4.5 years. I had an approved petition of validity till June 2020.
                November 22 - Response from my attorney was emailed to the consular officer, showing summary of my stay and justifying the validity date of the underlying petition with supporting evidence.
                December 6 - NIV call center told that a document was uploaded in the system and was with consular officer for review
                December 14 - Went to embassy to see whether we could get FaceTime with the consular officer to explain the issue of 4.5 years vs. 6 years that she thought. I was told that my file was sent to Washington for review.
                December 18 - We engaged a new immigration attorney who tried to open communication with the consulate
                December 20 - Got an email to submit the passport as did ffl3883. Mailed in the passport same day.
                December 24 - The passport was delivered at the embassy. The embassy was closed from Dec 24 through Dec 26.
                December 27 - The CEAC status was still Admin processing, but last update date changed from November 20 to December 27
                December 28 - CEAC showed Issued. Received emails about tracking number. Received an email at 5:07 PM that the passport was ready for pick up.

This period was tough for me and my family. My patients were stranded. The hourly staff in our clinic was met with tremendous uncertainty. During my 11 years in the US, I had never faced any issue with US visa before this experience. I hope the State Department improves their process and provide more tools and support to consular officers to assess applicant's visa history. I still don't know why the consular officer was confused during the interview.
                Thanks for sharing. Anmolwrites, May I ask which city you mailed the passport from in Canada ? 4 days seems quite long to deliver to Ottawa. Which city did you pick up the passport ?

Regards

ffl3883

Comment

Hi All,

Congrats for getting through the long wait.
                  (1) What documents did you include besides sending the passport ?
                  (2) Which city did you mail the passport from ? 4 days seems too long.
                  (3) Did you pick up at a Post office or at Consulate ?

Regards

ffl3883

Comment

Any update from OP?

Hi,

Bottom line on Top: I appeared for my H1B visa interview on Nov 29, 2018 and got 221g blue form. Anyone on the same boat or has been on one previously?

Here's what happened:

I was asked to provide the passport, I-797, & DS-160 . I was asked a few questions on my company, education etc. and within 2 min, the VO told me that my visa is approved. I was happy and asked her how long would it take for the passport to be ready. To which she replied 3-4 days.

Then, she started looking at the screen and asked me about my transition from being a PhD student to MS. I've 2 MS degree and she got confused as why I didn't publish anything if I were a PhD student. I explained to her that my research wasn't advanced enough for a publication but she wasn't convinced. She asked for my resume and didn't see PhD being mentioned there. I showed her my i-20s which indicate the PhD and MS details but still not convinced. Finally, she gave me a 221g and checked the box 'Further administrative processing'.

I wasn't asked to submit anything. I was told that they would reach out to me in 2 weeks. Good thing is that I am attending a research conference in Montreal until Dec 10th so I've a place to stay but after that, I really don't know!

I think it's a simple case of the VO getting confused between the transition (PhD to MS). I've read a few other posts about the time it takes and I got a notion that it's between 1 week to 40 days!

I'd be more than happy to talk to someone who's gone through this in Ottawa or any other consulate. Any comment/ help is welcome
                    Hi ShMW,
                    What color slip did you get during your interview? Can you please update when you receive communication from the Consulate?

Comment

Originally posted by gtalk View Post
                      Hi ShMW,
                      What color slip did you get during your interview? Can you please update when you receive communication from the Consulate?
                      Hi gtalk,

The color is blue. The consulate contacted me with a question on Dec 12th and after that, I've emailed them a couple of times and they've responded that my case is still under processing. No additional information could be obtained.

42 days in Canada so far. Excruciating wait.

Comment

Originally posted by ffl3883 View Post
                        Congrats for getting through the long wait.
                        (1) What documents did you include besides sending the passport ?
                        (2) Which city did you mail the passport from ? 4 days seems too long.
                        (3) Did you pick up at a Post office or at Consulate ?

Regards

ffl3883
                        Hi ffl3883,

Any updates on your passport buddy?

Best
                        Shounak

Comment

Hi ffl3883,

Any updates on your passport buddy?

Best
                          Shounak
                          Hi ShMW,

I sent passport with carrier in instruction at Canada post on Monday. The Xpresspost shipping took two business days from Toronto area to Ottawa. If i had the choice I think i would prefer to use Fedex next day as I heard its much safer and faster. It was confirmed to be delivered to US consulate yesterday. So far no update from US consulate.

Regards

Felix

Comment

You are almost there . . .

Hi gtalk,

The color is blue. The consulate contacted me with a question on Dec 12th and after that, I've emailed them a couple of times and they've responded that my case is still under processing. No additional information could be obtained.

42 days in Canada so far. Excruciating wait.
                            Hi ShMW,
                            Did you try calling the NVC (603-334-0888) to check if they can provide you with any information? Also, looking at how Felix and your interview dates were only a day apart, you should be getting your email from the Consulate soon. Can you please update when you receive a communication.

Comment

Originally posted by gtalk View Post
                              Hi ShMW,
                              Did you try calling the NVC (603-334-0888) to check if they can provide you with any information? Also, looking at how Felix and your interview dates were only a day apart, you should be getting your email from the Consulate soon. Can you please update when you receive a communication.
                              Hi gtalk,

Yes, I did call them. All they could tell me was that its under review and that they received my information on Dec 13th. No additional info.

Last Friday (1/11), I sent a letter from my university indicating that I did not finish my PhD and instead graduated with 2 MS degrees and the consulate confirmed that they added the letter to my case.

I know Felix received his email on 27th Dec and truth be told, I've been waiting for email ever since .

I'll update as soon as I hear anything.

Best
                              Shounak

Comment

Hi gtalk,

Yes, I did call them. All they could tell me was that its under review and that they received my information on Dec 13th. No additional info.

Last Friday (1/11), I sent a letter from my university indicating that I did not finish my PhD and instead graduated with 2 MS degrees and the consulate confirmed that they added the letter to my case.

I know Felix received his email on 27th Dec and truth be told, I've been waiting for email ever since .

I'll update as soon as I hear anything.

Best
                                Shounak
                                HI ShMW,

Stay positive. Have faith in your hard work in US. You will get yours. I took online classes in python while waiting for visa. On the bright side, its great opportunity to be able to focus on self development.

Best

Felix

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X