Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• srgsrg
    replied
    bumping thread hoping someone will answer.

Leave a comment:

• srgsrg
    started a topic I-539 Effective date of change

I-539 Effective date of change

I am trying to file COS for my wife from H1b to H4. I have read few threads here about effective date of change and still not clear about this. I-539 instruction document states the following:

"Part 2., Item Number 2.a. of the form, select the date you want your change of status to occur on. If approved, your change of status will occur on the date your current nonimmigrant status ends, the date of approval, or the requested date, whichever occurs later"

I think last two items are clear to me. If for some reason processing takes long time and behind effective date, H4 will start from date of approval.
    I am not clear about "your change of status will occur on the date your current nonimmigrant status ends". Does this mean H4 starts after H1b end date expires? My wife's H1b is valid for more than year from now.

My wife wants to quit job as soon as possible. Is it better to wait for H4 approval and quit? From above it sounds like following effective date is not useful if it is before approval date.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X