F1 - OPT - H1B and tax implications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 - OPT - H1B and tax implications

I am currently on OPT that will expire June 2007. In the meantime, my H1B has been approved for Oct 2006 onwards. On OPT I dont have to pay extra taxes for Social Security and Medicare but I guess as H1B I will have to.

My question is: do these extra taxes kick in from Oct 01, 2006 or from the date I actually get my visa stamped? If it is the latter, I will try to defer the stamping as much as possible. In general, in my situation, are there any major disadvantages in deferring my H1B stamping (apart from the obvious that I can't re-enter US if I travel out of it)?

Thanks much for any pointers.

I am currently on OPT that will expire June 2007. In the meantime, my H1B has been approved for Oct 2006 onwards. On OPT I dont have to pay extra taxes for Social Security and Medicare but I guess as H1B I will have to.

My question is: do these extra taxes kick in from Oct 01, 2006 or from the date I actually get my visa stamped? If it is the latter, I will try to defer the stamping as much as possible. In general, in my situation, are there any major disadvantages in deferring my H1B stamping (apart from the obvious that I can't re-enter US if I travel out of it)?

---- Taxes will start with your 1st pay check and not because of your start date and stamped visa

Subramanya

Comment

Originally posted by Subramanya

---- Taxes will start with your 1st pay check and not because of your start date and stamped visa

Subramanya
      Not sure I understood that... I have already started working and taxes *are* being taken off my paychecks... but only state and fed... not Social Security and Medicare... and I am pretty sure till Sept end it will be this way.

My confusion is post Oct 01. Do the *extra* taxes (medicare and social security) kick in from Oct 01 or from the day I get my H1B stamped.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X