Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Indian Passport with Valid H1B Visa and Valid London Visitor Visa

Hi,

My friend who lives in New Jersey, just lost her Indian passport, with a newly obtained H1B Visa and a Visitor visa to London for this Christmas, travelling on 12/22.

I've been reading up some links as to what the process is, but dint get any conclusive information. I understand that she needs to lodge a police complaint, get a FIR filed, produce it to the indian embassy to get a new passport.

These are my questions:

1. Approximately how long does it take to get a new passport issued?
    2. Once she gets the new passport, what is the process to get the replacement H1B Visa and London Visitor visa? For this question, I dont find any clear answer on the net. Does she have to go out of the country back to India to get a restamping for the H1B ?

Please clarify.

Thanks,
    Santhi.

Lost Passport

My friend who lives in New Jersey, just lost her Indian passport, with a newly obtained H1B Visa and a Visitor visa to London for this Christmas, travelling on 12/22.

I've been reading up some links as to what the process is, but dint get any conclusive information. I understand that she needs to lodge a police complaint, get a FIR filed, produce it to the indian embassy to get a new passport.

These are my questions:

1. Approximately how long does it take to get a new passport issued?

---- In such instances, it takes nearly 3-4 months before a new Passport is issued by the Indian Embassy as there is a long process for the same. These days if the time has shortened then it is your good fortune

2. Once she gets the new passport, what is the process to get the replacement H1B Visa and London Visitor visa? For this question, I dont find any clear answer on the net. Does she have to go out of the country back to India to get a restamping for the H1B ?

---- Once you get the Passport you have to go out of the country and you can try at the CBP (in this situation your friend can go to Canada as she is residing in NJ). If your friend has the photocopies of the Visa, Passport and other relevant documents, they charge a nominal fee and retrieve your information and you should be able to get the Visa issued. However, you have to convince the genuinity of your case to the officer at the border,just as in a Visa interview

---- This issue also depends as to where the Visa was issued since they may not be able to verify all the information if the Visa was not issued in Canada. However, there is no harm in trying provided you are willing. access the cbp website and call them up to find out explaining your case

---- The best alternative is to go to the Consulate where the Visa was issued and explain the facts

---- Regarding the London Visitor Visa your friend may have to reapply. although photocopies may ease the situation, questioning will always be there

Further queries, post them

Subramanya

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X