Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding Port of Entry at Denver

Hello friends,

On 12th feb , I am going on H1B to Denver from Mumbai. My work location is Chicago but I am visiting my sister first at Denver . I have ticket from Denver to Chicago on 22nd Feb. My ques is what kind of ques they will ask at port of entry? Which documents we have to show? Is it ok if I tell them about indian food and spices I am carring with me?

I am going first time so please help me on this.

Thanks,

POE issues

On 12th feb , I am going on H1B to Denver from Mumbai. My work location is Chicago but I am visiting my sister first at Denver . I have ticket from Denver to Chicago on 22nd Feb. My ques is what kind of ques they will ask at port of entry? Which documents we have to show? Is it ok if I tell them about indian food and spices I am carring with me?

---- Basically you have made all the decisions and you are just posing a question to readers so that they respond and throw some tidbits. You are not prepared to deviate fro your decisions as you have booked your tickets, packed your bags and only ready to fly. All you want to say is if anyone asks me I can explain the matter. That is not what is needed at the
    POE and with the customs officers

---- At the POE you have to show all your documents and that includes Passport with a valid Visa for entry to the US, H1 approval notice, employment letter and any other document as requested by the Immigration officer. Refer to various posts in the forum and you should find the answers

---- Indian food, spices, condiments etc. are and may be subject to screening depending on the customs officer and after clearing through immigration. As the said items are agricultural products, all reasoning does not withstand scrutiny and enquiry of all officers. It just depends on the day and time and the type of officer. In general agricultural products are not permitted and in fact prohibited from entry to US

---- Explaining to them that this is Indian stuff and yada, yada, yada does not cut much ice if you are not lucky.

---- It also depends on how you pack them and if there is any spillage you have to account for it, explain and answer all the queries raised by the officers. Remember the best pacakging for any item has failed notwithstanding any type of product or material

---- Millions of people have been successful over the years getting this kind of stuff into US and there is no reason why should not be successful. The above response is only a small word of caution with no personal or emotional attachments

Subramanya

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Subramanya for your quick reply. I had raised this que last month too but I didn't get reply. Anyway thanks for your help again

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X