Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completing 6 yrs - Need advise

Hi,
    I have entered US in March 2001 on H4 visa thru my spouse and later in 2003 I got my H1 thru some X company. Now I'm about to complete my 6 years term in May 2007 (H status including H1 and H4).

My spouse got 1-140 approval about 6 months back and we been to Canada for stamping where he got 3 years extension and I got only the time limit left in H status (may 2007). My employer cannot apply GC and what will be my status after May 2007 ?.

1. Can I get my H1 extension based on my spouse's extn ? OR
    2. Can I convert my H1 to H4 now ?.

I'm getting different answers from friends and would like to know if anyonce come across the same situation.

Please advise !!!

ellise

H1 and H4 issues

I have entered US in March 2001 on H4 visa thru my spouse and later in 2003 I got my H1 thru some X company. Now I'm about to complete my 6 years term in May 2007 (H status including H1 and H4).

My spouse got 1-140 approval about 6 months back and we been to Canada for stamping where he got 3 years extension and I got only the time limit left in H status (may 2007). My employer cannot apply GC and what will be my status after May 2007 ?.

1. Can I get my H1 extension based on my spouse's extn ? OR

---- NO, you cannot get a H1 extension based on your spouse's H1

2. Can I convert my H1 to H4 now ?.

---- Yes, you can convert from to H4 based on the H1 of your spouse

---- Regarding completion of 6 years (being H1 and H4) and then extending, you may want to consult an immigration attorney for clarification and proper advise on the steps to follow

Subramanya
    Subramanya

Comment

thanks

thank you for the information, but somebody told me that even I cannot convert to H4. Anyway, I will try to consult attorney for additional information.

thanks, - syellise

Comment

I remember reading that the time spent on H4 and H1 are now decoupled - i.e. time spent on H4 does not count towards the 6 yr limit if you are now on H1. Isnt that the case?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X