Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After how long after H1B expiring can I leave USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After how long after H1B expiring can I leave USA?

I am planning to quit my job and go back to India permanently. As I understand it, my H1B stands cancelled on my last day of job since I will not be transferring it to new company. After that, how long can I live in USA before I must leave the country? I will not work but want to just hang around for sightseeing. Thanks for help.

H1 grace period

I am planning to quit my job and go back to India permanently. As I understand it, my H1B stands cancelled on my last day of job since I will not be transferring it to new company. After that, how long can I live in USA before I must leave the country? I will not work but want to just hang around for sightseeing.

---- The last day of your stay on your H1 is the last day of your stay in US. As such there is no grace period. It is generally considered to have 10 days by the time you pack and leave the US. Otherwise the next time you want to visit US you may have a hard time getting a Visa (even B1/B2).

---- If sightseeing and all other matters are their on your schedule, try and take leave from your job and work around the time period

Subramanya

Comment

Thanks. So do I have 10 days or not? 10 business days?

Comment

Is it for real?
        I thought you can stay here as long as either your H1B is valid (not cancelled by your employer) _OR_ your H1B is expired.

How does anyone find out if you are working or not unless the emloyer cancels your H1B?
        --------------------------------------------------
        Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, just sharing my point of view.

Comment

Stay in the US

Thanks. So do I have 10 days or not? 10 business days?

---- Count it as 10 regular days irrespective whether it includes business days/weekends, longweekend, extended weekend etc. try not going beypnd these limits, since everything is recorded by the concerned authorities

Subramanya

Comment

Stay in the US

Is it for real?
            I thought you can stay here as long as either your H1B is valid (not cancelled by your employer) _OR_ your H1B is expired.

How does anyone find out if you are working or not unless the emloyer cancels your H1B?

---- Do not overstay your period on a Visa status. It is very easy to track you down by any govt. agency. Especially when you leave the country long after your Visa expiry you can be questioned and the next time you apply for a Visa (if you intend doing), you can be subject to questioning to explain what you had done during that period

Subramanya

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X