Job Loss on H1 - things to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Loss on H1 - things to do?

I am on H1 since past 3 years & my company has filed for extension for another 3 years( expected to renew by september end ). Given that economy may run into a melt down, I am worried about potential job loss.

If I end up loosing my job, what are the things that i must do so as to maintain legal status till I find new job( 1 -2 mo )?

I understand that -
    ( a ) there is no grace period - does that mean that i am suppose to leave country asap unless i find a job ( whats time frame to find new job - is it ok if i find job in say 3 weeks )
    ( b ) If i change by status to visitor, as some sites suggest, and then file for H1B again when i find new job - will my H1 be subject to cap etc ?

Are U sure thers no grace period? I have read (but not sure) tht a grace period of 10 days is given. I would appreciate if someone could provide proper info on this
    Rohit

Comment

Grace Period

I am on H1 since past 3 years & my company has filed for extension for another 3 years( expected to renew by september end ). Given that economy may run into a melt down, I am worried about potential job loss.

If I end up loosing my job, what are the things that i must do so as to maintain legal status till I find new job( 1 -2 mo )?

I understand that -
      ( a ) there is no grace period - does that mean that i am suppose to leave country asap unless i find a job ( whats time frame to find new job - is it ok if i find job in say 3 weeks )

---- NO, there is absolutely no grace period once you lose your job or resign your position while on H1B. If you hae to adn watn to find a job that has to be done by the time you lose your job. This means if you lose your job on a Friday, by the following Monday or the next working/business day you have to apply for a H1 transfer to another employer. There is no time frame to find a job and there is no rule

( b ) If i change by status to visitor, as some sites suggest, and then file for H1B again when i find new job - will my H1 be subject to cap etc ?

---- YES, you can do that but your B1 has to be filed immediately as written above. Later when you find a job, you can seek a H1 transfer and that will not come under H1 Cap as you have already been counted once. Unless the 6year period for your H1 is over or nearing completion

Subramanya

Comment

job loss -H1B - things to do

Thanks. If new employer applies for H1B again - assuming i transferred to B1 or left country temporariry - isnt the H1B considered fresh and not a case of transfer. In this case, isn't is subject to cap again?

Comment

H1 issues

If new employer applies for H1B again - assuming i transferred to B1 or left country temporariry - isnt the H1B considered fresh and not a case of transfer. In this case, isn't is subject to cap again?

---- You can seek a H1 transfer (even with a new employer) and that will not come under H1 Cap or considereed as fresh H1 as you have already been counted once. Unless the 6 year period for your H1 is over or nearing completion

Subramanya

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X