Successful H1-H1 & H4-H1 Visa Stamping @ Chennai consulate on Oct 4th 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful H1-H1 & H4-H1 Visa Stamping @ Chennai consulate on Oct 4th 2007

We reached chennai consulate on Oct 4th for visa stamping interview for me (H1 - H1 transfer) and for my wife (H4 - H1 transfer). Our interview time was 2pm. We reached the consulate gate around 12.30. We had to stand in the queue for around an hour to get to the security. They verified our interview letter and passport, did a security check, verified our bags and allowed us inside.

Ideally if the interview is at 2pm, just arrive at 1.45pm and go directly to the security gate, they will let you in without having to stand in the queue. Also if you have kids or old people with you, no need stand in the queue, directly go to the security gate. We took our documents in a small plastic bag, but we can take files and so on. They will check the bags/ file holders in detail, so we can take it. DO NOT take any CDs, Mobile phones, battery operated devices (even car keys with automatic door openers). We will have to leave it unattended at the gate, so don't take these.

After security check, we are sent to the first building counters where documents - Passport, Interview Letter, HDFC receipt, DS 156, DS 157, LCA, I 129, I 797 are verified and it is put into a separate file and given to us. Just have these documents handy so that we don't waste any time at the counter. They also scanned the photo in the DS-156 form there and checked the validity of the HDFC receipt there. My visa case type was RENEWAL (since i selected residing in US) even though we were going on fresh H1s (H1 - H1 and H4 - H1), but they didnt check that. Explicitly mentioning it since somebody had raised a doubt whether it is an issue, it is not an issue.

After this there was a long wait in the room till our time slot was called. Around 4.15, they called the people whose interview time is 2pm. We went to the next building and stood on the queue. There also a delay of around 30-45 mins were there to get into the building 2 where visa interview takes place.

In the next building, first we went to counter 1-2 where our finger prints were taken. Both left index and right index finder prints are taken. Ensure that we don't end up with any cuts in these 2 fingers before visa interview. They might ask us to take another appointment in such cases. After that we waited in the seats there for our time slot. On the day of our interview counters 3-7 was doing interviews. Also they took some of the B1/B2 candidates to some other counter. So mainly the people in our queue were H1/H4/F1, some B1/B2s.

My interview (H1 - H1)
    ------------
    VO : Good Afternoon
    Me : GA
    VO : Pass me the folder
    Me : did the same
    VO : How long you were in US
    Me : x years
    VO : How long are you with this new company
    Me : y months
    VO : How long were you with previous company in US
    Me : z years
    VO : Can you pass me your recent pay stubs
    Me : passed the same
    VO : Why did you change jobs
    Me : I was working in xx domain till now and i wanted a change. I wanted to work in zz domain and i got this oppurtunity and i changed the job.
    VO : Your visa has been issued, you will get your visa in courier.
    Me : Thanks

My wife's (H4 - H1)
    ----------
    VO : GA
    My wife : GA
    VO : Pass me the folder
    My wife : did the same
    VO : Seeing her file -- So you have been to US
    My wife : Yes from May 2005
    VO : How is it going there
    My wife : Going great
    VO : So your husband is working in xx company
    My wife : He was, now he is working in yy company
    VO seemed to mistake her for an H4, so she clarified
    My wife : I am here for my H1 stamping, i am working there now.
    VO : Oh you are working there, can i see your recent paystubs
    My wife : handed the same.
    She was out of project for a month, so her last 2 months paystubs had less salary (half month's only).
    VO : They are not paying you consistently, the last 2 months pay seems to be low.
    My wife : I was on leave due to a medical condition for a month, hence the pay is low during that period.
    VO : Oh Ok, You cannot have 2 visas, So i am cancelling your H4. Your visa is issued, your passport will come in courier.
    My wife : Thanks.

My interview lasted about 40 seconds and my wife's about 1.5 minutes. The most important thing is confidence. We should make good eye contact and be confident in our answers. Also listen to VO's questions carefully and answer correctly. We have hardly less than 2-3 minutes with VO and if they don't find our answers believable they will ask for more documents. But i found them very understanding and taking the extra pain in trying to get the information from us. Most persons in front of me got their visa, just saw one person getting a 221 (couldnt hear the conversation as he was very far from me).

If you are working in US and have pay stubs, don't worry at all, be cool, have confidence and go. You will get your visa for sure. If you are going from India on your first H1, again don't worry, have confidence, have all the documents and listen to VO's questions carefully and answer with confidence.

All the Best Guys....

Congrats to both of you on your visa. Good job!

I am trying to look for dates during december but in vain. Any ideas on how and when dates will be available. I have been seeing daily but the site will show for nov then oct then dec.
    Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X