Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B - 6 months break

Hi,
    I came to US on L1 in 2005 and did my H1B in 2006. I am working for a client for past 1 year and the project is getting over in Dec 2007. My visa is valid till Oct 2009.

I would like to go back to India for 6-8 months and want to join some software company for that duration. I will do the stamping within a month of my India visit.

My questions:
    1) Can I take a 6-8 months break in this situation and come back on the same visa?
    2) More importantly, Can I join different company while my India visit? Will it affect my H1B in any way?
    3) What documents should I ask from my current employer so that I will not have any problem in the immigration while coming after 8 months?

Thanks in advance.

z
    Originally posted by fundoocode
    Hi,
    I came to US on L1 in 2005 and did my H1B in 2006. I am working for a client for past 1 year and the project is getting over in Dec 2007. My visa is valid till Oct 2009.

I would like to go back to India for 6-8 months and want to join some software company for that duration. I will do the stamping within a month of my India visit.

My questions:
    1) Can I take a 6-8 months break in this situation and come back on the same visa? Yes, with valid reason

2) More importantly, Can I join different company while my India visit? Will it affect my H1B in any way? While you are in India, you are at your own. But you suppose to pay tax for that money too3) What documents should I ask from my current employer so that I will not have any problem in the immigration while coming after 8 months?
    Get a letter saying that, due to personel/family problem, you are granted unpaid special vacation of 8 months. Once you come back they have project for you.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatGuru
      While you are in India, you are at your own. But you suppose to pay tax for that money too
      What I understand is there is no problem in going to India for 6-8 months and take a job there. I need to pay tax for the money which i earn there. As I am on Unpaid leave i don't need to pay tax in US.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X