Internships affecting H1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internships affecting H1?

I am doing my MIS and am eligible for internships.

But the office of international students adviced us not to go
    for internships as its not included in our curicullum.

They say it would create problems if I go for my H1 stamping.

Any thoughts?

Is this regarding CPT or you want to take on an internship on H1? I am confused. What's your current status?
    Check out H1 FAQs first!
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Internship affecting H1

Originally posted by DMX17
      Is this regarding CPT or you want to take on an internship on H1? I am confused. What's your current status?
      I am on F1, doing my Masters in Information Systems and not graduated yet. After 9 months of F1 I become eligible for internships, but the international office of our school adviced us not to go for internships as it might come against us during H1 stamping interview.

This is specifically to those majors where internships are not a must in their curricullum.

For example: Masters of Science majors have no problems in Internships.

Comment

I have never heard of internship being a problem for H1b stamping and see no reason for it either. I am not sure if the intership is going to be just for the summer and if it is authorized by DSO, it should not be a problem. Never heard of it being okay for one major and not okay for another major.

If it is CPT/OPT, it should be related to your curriculum or area of study as per USCIS. Is that the issue here?

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by h1hunt

This is specifically to those majors where internships are not a must in their curricullum.
          I assume you are trying for a CPT.

I want to say I am actually impressed with your school that tries to follow the rules strictly. Yep, an internship must be an "integral part of an established curriculum". Strictly speaking, everyone in your program should be doing an internship for the DSO to grant you the CPT.
          Check out H1 FAQs first!

Comment

Strictly speaking, everyone in your program should be doing an internship for the DSO to grant you the CPT.
            Adding some clarification. Everyone in the curriculum should have the opportunity for a coop/internship and they need not be using that. They way schools handle this is by introducing a 1 or 0 credit hour pass/fail course that such CPT students need to enroll in and submit a report at the end of the semester. That becomes and makes it an integral part of the curriculum.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

I assume you are trying for a CPT.

I want to say I am actually impressed with your school that tries to follow the rules strictly. Yep, an internship must be an "integral part of an established curriculum". Strictly speaking, everyone in your program should be doing an internship for the DSO to grant you the CPT.

Thank you very much dmx17.I should have been more specific, yes this is for a CPT.

I am confused by your comments. Are you suggesting that even for MBA in Information systems, where CPT is not a part of curricullum, CPT is permitted anyways?

What does DSO stand for?

Comment

Comment

hu1bhunt,

Please read txh1b's clarification if you have not done so carefully. If eveyone in your program has the opportunity to do an internship, you may use CPT. This CPT does not create issues in H1 as you used it for an internship that everyone could take advantage of.

DSO = Designated School Official =~ International Advisor (in this context)
                  Check out H1 FAQs first!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X