Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H1b approved. Can one enter USA before Oct.1 st on a tourist visa ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1b approved. Can one enter USA before Oct.1 st on a tourist visa ?

thanks for your quick reply.
    Last edited by srini2k; 05-01-2008, 01:04 PM.

Sure, you can! No issues with h1b processing if you do that.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

this is before I go for H1b visa stamping right ? I presume after h1b visa stamp things get messy , so its better not to enter USA till sept 21st.

Comment

Originally posted by srini2k
        this is before I go for H1b visa stamping right ? I presume after h1b visa stamp things get messy , so its better not to enter USA till sept 21st.
        You can enter on B1/B2 even after H1b stamping. You are allowed to have two valid visas of different types on your passport and will be able to choose at the POE which status you want to enter US.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Duration

Originally posted by txh1b
          You can enter on B1/B2 even after H1b stamping. You are allowed to have two valid visas of different types on your passport and will be able to choose at the POE which status you want to enter US.
          Absolutely right, because at the POE, they will decide the duration of your stay thru I-94 and incase you are on B1/B2 they cannot allow you for more than 6 months whereas under H1B Visa , the duration of your stay is entirely different.

Comment

thanks for all your replies. one last thing > when can you schedule an appointment for H1b visa stamp ? 30 days or 90 days (as it was last year) ?

Comment

Originally posted by srini2k
              thanks for all your replies. one last thing > when can you schedule an appointment for H1b visa stamp ? 30 days or 90 days (as it was last year) ?
              Depends on the consulate. Check with them.

Comment

About COS on B1

Hi All,

I have applied for H1B visa in April 2008 and waiting for the lottery result. I hold valid B1/B2 visa.

The company who is sponsoring my H1B wants me to come to USA on B1 in Aug/Sep 2008 and apply for COS instead of after H1B stamping in india.

As officer at POE will give I94 on B1 for only 3 months, when should i apply for COS to H1, after 3 months or immediately after landing in US? My employer was telling immediately they will apply for COS.

And is COS from B1 to H1 is suggestable?
                what type of challenges i will face while COS and how much time it will take for COS from B1 to H1?
                Can i start working on B1 with H1 approval notice with me, i mean to ask before getting converted to H1?

Please suggest me how to go ahead?

Thanks.

Comment

COS from B1/B2 to H1 not recommended. You might face problems when attempting to get H1B visa stamped in your passport.

Comment

This sound like the employer is wanting you to violate the B1 visa by having you work here in a manner not permitted by the visa.

You need to be really careful as this will hurt only you not them! Illegal work can result in a permanent ban on entry into US.

You may NOT work for a US company on a B1 visa. Read the terms of that visa.

Comment

Your employer is afraid of you appearing for a visa and is suggesting bad workarounds for you. The US Consulate could ask for documents that your employer will not be able to produce like salary statements of employees in the company, tax returns etc which is why this route is being suggested.

COS from B1/B2 to H1 is bad but allowed as per the law. Problem is, you cannot enter US with that intention to change status and COS applied within 90 days may most likely get denied. Also future H1b stamping may be risky for someone that follows that route. Don't do it.
                      Last edited by txh1b; 05-03-2008, 06:55 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X