B2 visa extension and H1b petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 visa extension and H1b petition

im currently in the u.s. since March5 and was given 6 months stay till sept 4,2008. incidentally i found an employer was able to apply for h1b change of status from b2 as arranged and processed by my lawyer. i was included in the lottery for 2009 quota and also got the receipts both for h1petition and the request for extension. my question is that: what would be the impact on my legal stay if the hi1 b approval came out first than the b2 visa extension. i know that the h1 is effective on 10/1/08 yet and the results of the b2 visa extension usually comes at a later date of your I-94 expiry.

need your inputs. thanks.

I can't help but notice that incidently you found an employer fairly quickly. I mean in just 20-25 days is remarkable.
    Check out H1 FAQs first!
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

b2 visa extension and h1b petition

my situation is real and i would appreciate it very much if you could provide some inputs that would be helpful - as what this forum is all about

Comment

H1b COS will not be approved if USCIS notices a status gap.B1/B2 extension request to USCIS needs strong reasons for USCIS to approve it. If that is denied, it is a big risk for you as you will be accumulating unauthorized presence right from the date of expiry of the I-94.

USCIS will approve the H1b if you qualify for a CP requiring you to go out, get a visa stamp and re-enter due to gap in status.

If I-94 extension goes through, then you can possibly apply for amending the I797 and status but you cannot start work until amendment is approved and you get a I797 with an attached I-94.

In your best interest, get a H1b visa stamp after approval and return on H1b.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Whether your situation is real or not, they will see your situation as you entered with the intention of gaining employment on a visitor's visa.

Comment

thanks

thanks a lot for the input guys!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X