Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 H1B visa: Selected in lottery...what next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 H1B visa: Selected in lottery...what next?

Hi friends,
    I applied for H1B visa in april 2008. My consultant informed me on 17th May'2008 that the visa money has got debited from his bank a/c which should be understood as my application has got selected in the lottery. Still somthing is written should come by 1st weeks of June'2008.

1. I want to know is this the confirmation of my H1B visa? Although my consultant is saying its 100% sure now, still I want to know if there is any case where it went wrong after getting selected in the lottery.
    2. Please tell me what happens after this. How many steps? how much time?
    3. When the visa actually comes in hand?
    4. I understand that I could start working with this work visa starting 1st october'2008. So please advise me when should I start giving interviews?
    5. One of my friends has told me that after 1st Oct also first I need to get the SSN after that only I can start working. How much time does it take to get the SSN?
    6. Are there any job sites which can help me in finding job? or some other helpful resources/material?

Waiting for the replies,
    Thanks in anticipiation,
    Bye

Bad signals.

Your consultant is your job. If "he" did not have a job, why did he apply for your H1? You are employed by "him" and he is supposed to have a job ready. Not having SSN is no reason for him to not pay you. On H1, the employer must pay you all the time. If this is the case and the job exists in an imaginary heaven, your case might have issues when they actually adjudicate your case.

USCIS is cracking down on these shadys.
    Check out H1 FAQs first!
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

1. Not really. Until you get the approval notice aka I797, nothing is confirmed.
      2. USCIS evaluates the documents, credentials, employer details, job details and issues RFEs if they need any more proof of a job existing, a letter from the client if it is a consulting comany etc.
      3. Visa or the petition? Visa comes in gand after the interview. Petition approval comes in your hand if your employer wishes to send it to you.
      4. Are you currently in the US? You are employed by your employer and it is his problem to find you a project.
      5. SSN is not a requirement to get paid. It is a common misconception that people get fooled.
      6. You already have a job. Your employer should be finding a project for you.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Dont Exploit H1b !!

It is pathetic how you guys shamelessly exploit the the H1-B system. Man, if you didn't have a job why the heck did you even apply for the H1B. People here who have a job are getting hurt because of these crap applications like yours. I wish USCIS was intelligent enough to screen such applications.
        This is crap; in such a competitive world our careers are being decided on a freaking LOTTERY rather than some selective screening process. Damn.....

Comment

good to see a post like this here FINALLY

Comment

Dam it man!

We and our prospective US employers definitely deserve something better than LOTTRY.

Comment

Originally posted by sun2008
              Dam it man!

We and our prospective US employers definitely deserve something better than LOTTRY.
              That is the best that is available as of now. What one deserves is not an issue, what is available is the truth. Deal with it.

Who determines which person deserves a H1b? Is there such a thing as deserving a H1b? Are you suggesting an exam? A PhD holder feels so and so does a person that has 15 years exp under his butt and so does a new graduate.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

sun2008,

If you don't like the rules, youy don't have to play the game. There are many other people who apply and graciously accept the results and decisions of the USCIS/DHS.

You don't "deserve" anything; you are asking permission to enter the US. The only place you "deserve" or have the right to be to be is in your home country.

By the way, profanity - even when misspelled - is NOT appreciated. It shows a lack of class and indicates someone who will not be successful as that is inappropriate conduct in the US workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by sun2008
                  Dam it man!

Where do you want to Dam it? Are you a civil engineer by any chance?

Just a joke.
                  Check out H1 FAQs first!
                  http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

H1B fishing net?

Getting a visa to the US, for that matter any country for any reason, is a privilege and not a right.

No system of fool proof because human beings make the rules and because human beings make the rules, they also know how to break them.

H1B applicants and the companies are just as human as the USCIS with all its so called 'not so perfect system.'

Not that we need not wish for a better system, but trying to accept the existing system with all its merits and demerits.

In the fishing net of H1B lottery, good ones may be fished in along with the bad ones. Let's face it.

What am I talking? sleep talking?
                    Happy summer and H1B visa interviews....

Comment

Philosophy

I am glad people are talking PHILOSOPHY here which is good as this subject stimulates the better part of your brain. I liked it when some one wrote :dont play a game where you can't follow the rules. GRAPES ARE SOUR, my dear for some who couldn't make it in the lottery. I don't blame them either, philosophically speaking.

Comment

Typo

Originally posted by DMX17
                        Where do you want to Dam it? Are you a civil engineer by any chance?

Just a joke.
                        Well, it was a typo. In my keyboard 'n' key doesn't work. Every time I have to copy the character 'N' and paste it. That time, I forgot to copy & paste it

Comment

BTW,
                          My H1B is selected in the random selection and the petition is now in 'Approval notice sent' phase.

Its not that the grapes are sour .... They are always sweet.. but you can claim it to be sweet only when you get it.

But my point is , there are people who exploit the system and flood out application in first week of April... because of which, someone deserving ( modestly not claiming to be myself ) need to go through this painful process of random selection.

I know that the answer is not simple... but there is really some problem ....

what say ?

Comment

The demand supply equation for the present is the cause. Just live with it.

H1b program was not designed to make only the deserving get the visa but anyone that meets the minimum qualification can get it.

The H1b cap number is decided not simply by the senate arriving at a ***** number. It has lot of math behind it like the % of jobs that the world creates and US has to allow for a particular % of jobs only from the rest of the world.

I did not pay much attention when I was reading the article on how the cap numbers are arrived at part but it is complicated. Next time I run into it, I will post on the forum.

Comment

Mathematical *****

Originally posted by txh1b
                              It has lot of math behind it like the % of jobs that the world creates and US has to allow for a particular % of jobs only from the rest of the world.
                              Fantastic information, I agree with the theory of probability as stated above. Kindly enlighten us more on this subject. It sounds interesting.
                              I once asked for the Statistics on this forum on number of applicants in various jobs,,vis-a-vis,,Computer Programmer, Mgt Research Analyst, Business Analyst etc
                              I guess majority of the job applicants are in IT.
                              Lets start another thread on this.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X