H4 Visa SSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 Visa SSN

I am in H4 Visa. I tried to apply for SSN but I was refused for the reason "H4 are not eligible for SSN".

My questions are:

1) Can I get a SSN in my H4 Visa? Are there any ways like requesting a letter from my husband's company and giving it to SSN office?

2) Other problem is "Economic Stimulus Payment Notice" from IRS. As most everyone know about this, qualified individual receive as much as $ 600 if they are single and $ 1,200 if married filing jointly. My husband is in H1B, has SSN but he was rejected for this $ 1,200 refund. The reason given by IRS was both husband and wife should have have SSN no. to claim this refund. My husband's argument is atleast he is eligible for the $ 600 refund as he has SSN number. Talking (arguing) to them for about 45 minutes helped us nothing. Is there any other way that we could solve this.

Anyone's help would be highly appreciated.

1. H4 is ineligible for SSN. What does letter from husband's company have anything to do with your SSN?

2. There is no point in arguing about it as the rules say so. The rebate has a condition that SSN for both or zero rebate. No one can make exceptions to that requirement.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your immediate response.

Comment

Actually ...

... for your point #2, H4 visa holder needs to have a TIN if not eligible for SSN. I was informed of this by a few others who may be in similar situations and because their spouses on H4 had TINs, they got the full amount.

TIN is given by IRS for these purposes only (Tax Identification Number).

How did your husband file your joint taxes without the TIN?

Talk to your CPA or your HR in your company and they should be able to guide you well.

Good luck.

Comment

[QUOTE=knowledgeable I was informed of this by a few others who may be in similar situations and because their spouses on H4 had TINs, they got the full amount.
          [/QUOTE]

Must have been a mistake. IRS clearly says no stimulus check for ITINs.

They will come and get that back if they find out later.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Ah! Thanks for the clarification ...

... take care.

Comment

Thanks

I have the ITIN no. What my husband was told was we are not eligible to get the refund if either of us don't have a SSN, which is exactly specified in the website.

I thank you everyone for your time.

Comment

on your side, you should put your ITIN on the social security box provided on the form since you are an H4 visa holder, that ITIN is for tax purposes only. your husband should get the full refund by that.

Comment

Originally posted by geek31
                  on your side, you should put your ITIN on the social security box provided on the form since you are an H4 visa holder, that ITIN is for tax purposes only. your husband should get the full refund by that.
                  No refund for the tax rebate. Read the link I posted below.

Comment

SSN for H4

Hello!

I heard that "in few states like Iowa you may apply for SSN with H4 visa but you cannot use it for working purposes".

Does anybody know these states "like Iowa" where it's possible to apply for SSN with H4? Particularly I'm interested in Tennessee.

Thank you!

Comment

Not possible anymore. It was a thing of the past, prior to 9/11.

Comment

DL without SSN.

Originally posted by txh1b View Post
                        Not possible anymore. It was a thing of the past, prior to 9/11.
                        Thank you for your reply!

I wonder if my driver license will be a real ID without SSN?

Thank you!

Comment

What do you mean? DL is still a REAL ID, SSN or not. If you are talking about some states that will not issue DLs without SSN, there aren't any that I am aware of so far.

Michigan did something crazy last year and they took it back.

Comment

Don't argue

There is no need to argue with a government official in foreign land without knowing proper rules.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                            X